OOOOOOOOOH! A new trick in masking...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

CaptainHawk1

OOOOOOOOOH! A new trick in masking...

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

I can't take credit for this as I stole it from a painting supplement that came in last month's FSM magazine: silly putty.

It makes perfect sense to me though as it goes where you want it to go isn't permanent and makes a great seal.

I used it tonight on the Enterprise B.

I'll let you know the results.

-Shawn :smoke:
didihno

Re: OOOOOOOOOH! A new trick in masking...

Post by didihno »

CaptainHawk1 wrote:I can't take credit for this as I stole it from a painting supplement that came in last month's FSM magazine: silly putty.

It makes perfect sense to me though as it goes where you want it to go isn't permanent and makes a great seal.

Doesn't it leave a greasy smear?
I know if I put it say, on my glasses it does. Like blu-tac.
He tasks me! He tasks me and I shall have him!
CaptainHawk1

Re: OOOOOOOOOH! A new trick in masking...

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

didihno wrote:
CaptainHawk1 wrote:I can't take credit for this as I stole it from a painting supplement that came in last month's FSM magazine: silly putty.

Doesn't it leave a greasy smear?
I know if I put it say, on my glasses it does. Like blu-tac.
Silly putty and blu tac ain't the same thing and by blu tac I'm assuming you are referring to poster gum.

I did some tests on this (not to mention the fact that the article in FSM didn't mention it) already and it seems to come off clean.

I'll know later today.

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Silly putt doesn't leave residue. But it doesn't adhere all that well either.

It's great for wheel wells and recessed areas. Also good for camo masking on armor etc.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
unsc shipworks

Post by unsc shipworks »

TER-OR wrote:Silly putt doesn't leave residue. But it doesn't adhere all that well either.

It's great for wheel wells and recessed areas. Also good for camo masking on armor etc.
Yeah, it's not good for masking sharp panel lines and such, but as
TER-OR points out, it works for camo schemes.

Also, temperature effects its stretchiness, and if it cools off much after it's been put in place it will contract and might expose surfaces that you were trying to cover.

Lastly, I found that if silly putty is hit by enamel paints from a spray can it will turn into a nasty, gooey mess.

All things considered, I will never use it for masking again. I hope you have better luck with it than I did.
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

I've used it to cover holes and dam off areas in parts I want to fill with resin (usually epoxy) for one reason or another. Works great for that.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I used it on a Hasegawa Valkyrie camo pattern, wheel wells, and cockpit. It works like a charm with no residue.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

FSM mentioned Silly Putty several years ago, too. I tried it then and found that I couldn't get the little blobs to stay exactly where I wanted them stay because the stuff wanted to level out too quickly. Yeah, I guess I'm a slow painter, too. It was a 1/72 helicopter that I was trying it on, so maybe on a bigger model it would work better.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

One thing I forgot to mention is to roll it out out on a pane of glass. Chop it with large X-Acto blades and then use the same blades to scoop it up. t really helps when masking rectangular areas.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

Well, I used it on the cone of the deflector housing on the Ertl Ent. B and on the hangar bay.

So far it seems to have been very effective. I haven't removed it yet but will this weekend.

One thing I did notice is that it shrinks, but this only happened in tha hangar bay as I used a lot of pieces of it t ofill the area. The deflector area Iused one solid piece and it has shownno signs of shrinking.

I made sure that the test I did was on something that I could easily fix.

Devin

Post by Devin »

I did all of the masking on this ship a few years back using Silly Putty. It's a learning curve, but for complex masks and shapes, it's very useful.

-Devin
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth