Do you wear a respirator when you airbrush?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nicholjm

Do you wear a respirator when you airbrush?

Post by nicholjm »

Do you? I've been considering getting one, because there have been a couple of airbrush sessions where I feel a little light-headed afterwards, even using a spraybooth. Do those little cloth/paper masks work OK, or does it have to be a full-blown respirator with filters and all?
"Dogs and cats, living together...MASS HYSTERIA!!!"
haywire

Post by haywire »

I wear a dust mask and that seems to be fine.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I do when I'm spraying rattle cans or laquers.
Abolish Alliteration
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've got a half-mask twin cartridge respirator, and I try and wear it as much as possible. I've also got a spraybooth, but really, these are the only lungs I plan on having. It's cheap insurance, and if you get a good mask, you'll forget you are wearing it after a few minutes.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Are you using acrylics or mineral based paint? You don't really need a respirator if you use acrylics or paint outdoors.
Normal?? What is normal??
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I probably should but I don't. My spraybooth is near the garage door though so I get pretty good ventilation with the door open.
Last edited by TREKKRIFFIC on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

irishtrek wrote:Are you using acrylics or mineral based paint? You don't really need a respirator if you use acrylics or paint outdoors.
I generally use Tamiya acrylics, but I still have that "buzzed" feeling after airbrushing, and my nose sometimes burns a bit.
"Dogs and cats, living together...MASS HYSTERIA!!!"
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Then I would say just use a dust mask
Normal?? What is normal??
Styrofoam_Guy

Post by Styrofoam_Guy »

Depends on the paint and how long I am airbrushing.

For Lacquers yes. For short acrylic paint jobs. No.

I try and avoid lacquers and enamels whenever I can

Alex
Styrofoam Guy
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Unlike Jonas Calhoun, I do plan on getting new cyborg lungs some day, (to go with my black mechanical heart). But until then, I use a dual cartrige respirator. I also airbrush lots of lacquers and enamels, always indoors. So a good mask is required.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

And especially if you are getting buzzed...the thinners in acrylics still aren't good for you in vapor form...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Always! I figure it this way....anything that's designed to coat something else is NOT something I want in my lungs!

Just my 2 peso's

Carry on....
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

I've got a pretty good exhaust fan venting out over my painting area. I have a 2 cartridge respirator as well, but I often don't use it. Probably should though. Acrylic vapors will probably do as much damage to my lungs as any solvent.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Bah! Sissies!

<cough>

;)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I do wear a half-mask twin cartridge respirator even tho the fan I use for my spray booth came from the exhaust fan from a commerical kitchen. The draw on that baby comes close to snuffing a lit match out! Best thing I got out of a junk yard!
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

Yeah, I've been geting worried lately a you hear the horror stories of the guy who had chuks of acrylic clogging his lungs.

Generally speaking I'm only usin acrylics now for painting and I only do it in my garage withthe garage door open. In the summer I use a fan as well (this is Vegas after all).

The only time I use laquer is when I seal my decals and dull coat my models.

I haven't been using a mask at all but I've got those masks that come like 10 to a pack.

WIll these suffice?

-Shawn :smoke:
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

If they are designed for paint and seeing that you are using acrylic... I don't see why they shouldn't work. It should say on the package what they can be used for.
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Yes, I do as well as for resin sanding and when working with my router.
b5ranger99

Post by b5ranger99 »

I use a spray booth with charcol filters and I also use one of the dual cartridge masks. Also make sure you get the correct filter for the mask. Mine came with a dust filter, the vapor (?) filters were extra, I think they contain carbon.
"When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."
Dukhat, Babylon 5

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
Lewis Carroll
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I usually wait until warmer weather to use spraybombs because I can do my painting outside where vapors don't really matter. Until this year I've done all my painting with a brush, but now that I'm getting into airbrushing, I'm using the paper masks and keeping vent fans running.

The only real spraying I usually do inside the house now is with DullCote when I am ready to seal the kit.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
BLZ BOB

Post by BLZ BOB »

Yup I sure do, whilst airbrushing I usually use a simple dust mask or if I find it a bit hard going (Furture is the killer) I don my trusty S10 army respirator. Priming is my reay issue, I live in a block of flat with no garden so spraying outside is not an option and since changing jobs I don't have the chance to go round to my parents and prime there. This means priming from a rattlecan indoors, to be more precise in a 6x10 room with one point of ventilation. The smell is easily countered by closing the door and leaving the window open the real trouble comes from the dust genreated, dried black overspray makes for one nasty dark dust. Sadly this is the only place I can do it, I had considered using the courtyard below but would find my project vandalised or stolen in short order by the locals :(
Your Tastebuds can't repel flavour of this magnitude!
vern

Post by vern »

Dust mask is fine, using a respirator would be better, check this out http://www.respirated.com, if you don't have any idea of what to use.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Kylwell wrote:I do when I'm spraying rattle cans or laquers.
Same here.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
geck

Post by geck »

Yes...you should be wearing a respirator no matter what. Even outside although I must admit I violate that rule myself cause I'm in a hurry and well...I'm outside...:)

Why should you wear one?

If you can smell the paint...even outside...particles ARE going into your lungs. The particles are bad for your lungs...they get lodged in the vascular tissue and stay there. The fumes are bad for your nervous system/brain.

Not trying to be a nanny, but better safe than sorry right?
Wug

Post by Wug »

3M respirator with two replaceable cartridges

I have a big fan in the window blowing outward and open windows in other rooms for good ventilation.
Mick4350

Unfortunately, no.

Post by Mick4350 »

Years ago I worked on a galvanizing bath for nearly six years. Breathing in Ammonium Chloride salt that has vaporised after it has been thrown over the molten zinc in copious amounts and also having to put up with the sulfuric acid fumes from the pickling baths was too much too bear especially on rainy days when the whole building filled up with the foul smelling acid fumes. Being hit with molten zinc from the bath when it exploded after the steel being dipped into it especially if if it were still damp after the pickling process was bad enough, but when the black Ammonium Chloride flux hit your skin it would bubble away for a couple of seconds causing slightly deeper burns than compared to the zinc that would cool quite quickly. Ouch ! Later they changed the boiling sulfuric acid to cold Hydrochloric Acid which was friendlier on the system. In the last year I was there, they put in a Hydrofluoric Acid bath to dissolve sand that remained in cast metal castings even after they were processed in the casting section of the foundry where I worked. I found out some information from the local university regarding Australian Standards regarding the use of Hydrofluoric Acid and I had the building's foreman bending over backwards regarding the safe use of the highly poisonous acid. If I hadn't sourced this information I doubt if our safety could have been assured. This I believe made my postion redundant soon afterwards.

So because of this I spray paint outside on the rear porch which is undercover. I am currently trying to build myself a spray booth to try and pull some of the paint fumes away as I am getting ready to use Alclad II on some of my modelling projects.
Mad-Modeler

Post by Mad-Modeler »

Respirator with cartridges and safety-goggles regardless if I sand resin or paint.

If you can smell the thinner you already inhaled it.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Remember the charcoal filters have a lifetime. Store them correctly and replace them on schedule.

I'll use a dust mask when painting larger amounts. Acrylic alcohols don't seem too bad, though I fully agree that lacquers are bad juju.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
LiebeVision

Post by LiebeVision »

Um.... I'm so guilty of not using anything. And I primarily use rattle cans.

But it's fun after wards when you blow your nose and see a rainbow of paint colors.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I don't do a heck of a lot of spraying, but when I do, I always use a disposable face mask. It's not as good as a respirator but it's better than nothing.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson