Airbursh Lube

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

Airbursh Lube

Post by starmanmm »

Ok, does anyone buy it for their AB or is it just an option?

If you do use it, how often do you lube your AB?
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

I use it every time i do a full strip-to-clean, which is at the end of every session, or after i've used something like Alclad II.

Not sure if it helps or not as Ive never not used it :?

But both my airbrushes are still smooth action.

When i chatted to the gent in the shop about it he said it main benefit was to lubricate where the pin slides through any rubber o-rings and would make it less likely to produce wear on the inner surface of the o-ring.

Makes sense, but i've only had my brushes for about 18months so I dont know if the o-rings would have worn by this point or not - i use them about twice a week for 3-5 hours each time.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Ditto what Antenociti said. I always wipe the needle with a very thin layer of lube at end of a final cleaning; but I usually don't lube any other parts. I've had the needle stick on my Iwatas when I've forgotten to lube- particularly when it gets cold in the winter.

I remember reading that the choice of lube is important- as some household lubricants will attack O-Rings and rubber/teflon seals. I use Medea Super Lube, and I've heard that the lube Badger makes works fine as well.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

I read somewhere that you can rub beeswax on the needle against the grain (from front to back), it'll serve as a lubrucant.

I don't remember where I read it. Sorry
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've been using Super Lube since I got my airbrush. Just a thin layer between sessions works well. I've had to put 1 drop on the trigger assembly when that got sticky.

Tom Grossman suggested it to me, and I've been happy. I look at it as cheap insurance, and it helps cleanup. I notice if I don't use it (out of laziness or whatever), that the next time I clean it, the paint wants to stick to the needle a bit more.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

A bit of lube when you strip and clean helps a lot. You don't need much.

There's a nice maintainece set at Dixie Arts with brushes, lube etc.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Do you put a drop in the gravity feed well or do you have to take the needle out and wipe it down???
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Terror,

I looked for this "maintainece set at Dixie Arts with brushes, lube etc." and all I could find was the lube by its self or when you buy the package it includes the lube.

Do you have a specific address to check this out?
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

starmanmm wrote:Do you put a drop in the gravity feed well or do you have to take the needle out and wipe it down???
Take the needle out and wipe it down.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

starmanmm wrote:Do you put a drop in the gravity feed well or do you have to take the needle out and wipe it down???
Don't do that because you'll contaminate any paint you want to spray later. Be very conservative with any foreign substance you put into your airbrush or else you'll be incorporating it onto the surface of your next masterpiece.
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

When you reassemble the airbrush, use a drop of lube on a Q-tip or bit of paper towel in the area where the needle will move through the assembly - not the front area where it can contact the paint. Just a very light coat is enough. You will notice the difference.

Cleaning set 99MCK
http://www.dixieart.com/Accessories.html
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Thanks for all the info people!