Can you "un-yellow" yellowed decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

CaptainHawk1

Can you "un-yellow" yellowed decals

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

I have purchased quite a few kits recently off of ebay that jus tdue to their age have come with decal sets that were yellowed. Most of them, I would just assume order after market decals for anyway, but the Revell/Monogram Voyager SE I would like to salvage.

Is there any way to do this?

-Shawn :smoke:
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

The best way I have ever tried - or seen recommended - is to place the decal in a clear plastic cover - standard self sealing baggie will be fine - and tape that (decal facing outward) to a window with a reasonable level of sunlight and and wait.

Solar UV will bleach out the yellowing. There will be some bleaching of the decal as well, but the yellowing die to age will go first.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

tonyG2 wrote:The best way I have ever tried - or seen recommended - is to place the decal in a clear plastic cover - standard self sealing baggie will be fine - and tape that (decal facing outward) to a window with a reasonable level of sunlight and and wait.

Solar UV will bleach out the yellowing. There will be some bleaching of the decal as well, but the yellowing die to age will go first.
I live in vegas so the sunlight is not a problem. About how long does this process take?

Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

probably best to check it after a couple of hours in bright sunlight just in case it bleaches out too much of the ink.
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

I've had it take up to a week. But then I do live in England......
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

Thank you, gentlemen.

Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

Fixing yellowing decals was brought up before and the decals in a clear, plastic bag was suggested. Someone did this and the decals stuck themselves to the inside of the bag because of humidity. so be careful.

In a recent FSM (the Decal issue) there was an article about this. What the author did was simply tape the decals (with just one piece of tape), decals side facing out to a window, and let it hang in the sun for a few days - no bag. I would check it a few times a day to make sure all's going well.
Also make sure to use the decals promptly for if the carrier yellowed once it will do it again.
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

Go Flight wrote:Fixing yellowing decals was brought up before and the decals in a clear, plastic bag was suggested. Someone did this and the decals stuck themselves to the inside of the bag because of humidity. so be careful.

In a recent FSM (the Decal issue) there was an article about this. What the author did was simply tape the decals (with just one piece of tape), decals side facing out to a window, and let it hang in the sun for a few days - no bag. I would check it a few times a day to make sure all's going well.
Also make sure to use the decals promptly for if the carrier yellowed once it will do it again.
Humidity... no problem, but I was thinking the same thing (why not just tape them to a window w/no bag?). Now, since you brought it up, how long would it take for the yellowing to occur again and how can I stop them from yellowing afterthey are applied?

Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

CaptainHawk1 wrote:
Go Flight wrote:Fixing yellowing decals was brought up before and the decals in a clear, plastic bag was suggested. Someone did this and the decals stuck themselves to the inside of the bag because of humidity. so be careful.

Humidity... no problem, but I was thinking the same thing (why not just tape them to a window w/no bag?). Now, since you brought it up, how long would it take for the yellowing to occur again and how can I stop them from yellowing afterthey are applied?

Hey Shawn,
I only mentioned it because thats what the article said - BTW it was the Sept. 2006 issue of FSM if you want to get the back issue.
They wanted to stress the point that once you get it white (or clear) don't leave them lying around for another 10-15years.
Having said that I don't know the answer to your question, but if I had to guess I would say they would stay non-yellow for at least a few years. But if you get them white, use them and seal them onto the model then I would guess that the problem is solved.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Whew, glad it's not the same problem as yellowed plastic. On an aside, when I first read the post I thought, "So the yellow contest got to you too, huh?" #-o
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Whiteraven_2001

Post by Whiteraven_2001 »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was a good idea to trim as much of the "clear" part off a rehabilitated decal as possible, since this is where the yellowing appears/is most visible.
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

I'm actually experimenting with this as we speak. I've got a couple of old Airfix decal sheets and a couple of old Aurora decal sheets taped to the window in sealed plastic bags. The only problem is that we're in mid winter with little sun but so far it does appear to be working slowly with the odd hour or two we get. So far they've been up there a couple of weeks. I've left one half of one sheet in shadow to act as a control. It might take a couple more weeks at this rate but early signs are promising. Obviously in summer, the bright sunshine will act much quicker I imagine.