Airbrush comparisons, please help.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Navboyry

Airbrush comparisons, please help.

Post by Navboyry »

I'm going to purchase an airbrush, want to get some feed back on these.

Number One

Number Two

Number Three

Compressors?

One

And Two
"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy""
-John F. Kennedy
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

Go for the Badger (number 1). You'll be happier with it in the long run because they are higher quality than the Paasche and you'll have a much easier time finding replacement parts and aftermarket accesories that will work with it.

As for the compressor... make sure your hose fits (a badger airbrush hose wont fit a paasche compressor) and get an oil-less diaphram compressor, preferably with a moisture trap and pressure regulator built in.
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I love my Paasche VL as well as my H and have never had any problems with them. Easy to use and easy to clean.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

Not on your list: Iwata (pricey, but the best in my opinion)

Then the Paasche Professional DOUBLE-Action Airbrush (I have 3 of these)

Then the Badger (although I have heard these are just as good as the Paasche)

If you are going to get a compressor, get one with a tank on it, you will get a smoother airflow.

just my .02

Glen
compucrap

Post by compucrap »

I have a badger 150 anthem, and its an excellent airbrush for just about anything you throw at it. Its a good airbrush for a beginner, its easy to clean, and the 150 has an adjustable spray nozzel, which has handled ever situation I've given it.

Josh
Navboyry

Post by Navboyry »

Thanks for all the advice. It helps to get others opinions.
"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy""
-John F. Kennedy
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The Badger 155 is a good brush.

I don't like the "feel" of the Paashes, myself.

Iwata makes really fine brushes, I recently got a Revolution - not a bad general use brush.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

I seconed that on the 150. I have had mine for about 8-9 years and it will do just about anything. Great brush. Good luck with your decision.
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

This what I love about this site. I din't even have to post this question and yet the answers have magically appeared.

-Shawn :smoke:
The Mad Klingon

Post by The Mad Klingon »

I own both a Badger Crescendo and a Iwata HB-BCS. Both are excellent brushes. I find I get a finer line with the Iwata but I can't rave enough about Badger's customer service.

I mailed my busted Badger (my fault) off and and a couple of weeks later received an almost completely rebuilt brush! Very pleased.
Ridged for her pleasure.

<a href="http://www.fpkclub.com/"> www.fpkclub.com</a>
compucrap

Post by compucrap »

MadK wrote:I own both a Badger Crescendo and a Iwata HB-BCS. Both are excellent brushes. I find I get a finer line with the Iwata but I can't rave enough about Badger's customer service.

I mailed my busted Badger (my fault) off and and a couple of weeks later received an almost completely rebuilt brush! Very pleased.
interestings, I've never had to called customer support, but thats good to know. did you have to pay anything for the repair?
The Mad Klingon

Not one cent!
Ridged for her pleasure.

Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

My wife and I went to Michaels tonight inspired by this thread.

I found two that I like. The Badger 175-7 and the Badger 155. I like them both and I think I'll be satisfied with either.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The 155 Anthem is a great brush, Mike. You won't be disappointed. It has a very broad performance range, and replacement parts are readily available. The tip (cone piece) will be the first thing to wear out, so be careful and buy a spare if you can when you buy the brush. There's nothing worse than being ready to paint and having that tip disappear....
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
The Mad Klingon

Good idea to have a spare needle or two as well. The tips are very fragile.
Ridged for her pleasure.

compucrap

Post by compucrap »

I second the badger 155. I own one and I love it, it has to be one of the best airbrushes on the market. The fact that you can change spray patterns without having to change the tip/needle is brilliant, and its easy to take apart and clean.

Josh
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I own a Paasche dual-action VL series airbrush and it works great. The one drawback is finding hobby shops that stock replacement parts. Most seem to carry Badger.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

I've owned Paasche VLs and Millenium and they are both work horses (the Millenium is pretty much the same as the VL, only you get the fancy barrel with the cutout and a fatter trigger--which I don't like). The brushes abe built like tanks but I've had a ton of trouble getting good replacement parts, bent needles and the like. So I switched to an Iwata brush and I think it was a good move. Maintenance is about the same as Paasche, but the level of control is fantastic. I don't know why, but Badger brushes and I don't seem to get along. I know how to use and care for airbrushes, but for some reason I always jam up the couple of Badgers that I've purchased.
shelldweller

Post by shelldweller »

TREKKRIFFIC wrote:I own a Paasche dual-action VL series airbrush and it works great. The one drawback is finding hobby shops that stock replacement parts. Most seem to carry Badger.
I'm late to this party, but here goes...

Go into some place that uses airbrushes as production tools, eg custom t-shirts or license plates or auto detailing, and they'll probably be Paasche VLs. Paasche is the most likely airbrush you'll find for sale in an art supply store. Badger got in early in the hobby shops and have dominated that market, but there's nothing wrong with Paasches as model painting tools.
I've had mine for twenty years.
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I recently bought a Paasche "H" single-action set, and have been impressed with the performance. Heck, if a noob like me can figure it out in under 15 minutes, folks with practice should be able to (and do) get fantastic results. I'll look into getting a double-action brush later.

The set that I bought came with: Airbrush, No. 1, No. 3 and No. 3 needle sets, 1 oz. mixing jar, 1/4 oz. spray cup, 1 oz. spraying jar, 3 oz. spraying jar, 6-foot air hose, wrench, Allen wrench, and a brush hanger. My LHS stocks the brushes and replacement parts, so I'm not too worried about being able to get parts if I need them.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Let me ask something here. I'm thinking of adding a new airbrush. What about the Badger 155 versus the 360?

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.