Printers that print white

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

haywire

Printers that print white

Post by haywire »

What other printers are out ther that print white other than the ALPS?
modelbaseguy

Post by modelbaseguy »

There are similar printers but it is the same thermal technology manufactured by OKI just with another brand name on the case. There are rumors about a white inkjet but they are just rumors for now. I follow this quite closely as I am in the printing business from 9 to 5 and we print on a lot of clear materials for beverage containers. We need a printer that can print white for our proofing purposes but there is no low cost solution as yet. I have worked with ink manufacturers to get a white inkjet cartridge but the pigments are just too coarse to work in a standard inkjet cartridge.

HP introduced their Indigo digital press which is essentially a high end inkjet printer and it is capable of many colors including white. This gives me hope that they will convert this technology into a desktop unit for proofing but it won't be cheap.
William
"The" Model Base guy

Follow me on Facebook
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

There is a matte white inkjet ink but it seems to only be for the high end Epson printers and from what I've heard it can void warranties and casue no end of hassles.
Abolish Alliteration