Future yellowing?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

CaptainHawk1

Future yellowing?

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

I noticed yesterday the Ent A model I Future'd on Friday has yellowed some. What causes this and can it be fixed?

-Shawn :smoke:
mightymax

Re: Future yellowing?

Post by mightymax »

CaptainHawk1 wrote:I noticed yesterday the Ent A model I Future'd on Friday has yellowed some. What causes this and can it be fixed?

I am a true believer that Future DOES Yellow. I have a bottle and it clearly is NOT clear. I know guys who will debate this with me but this is my belief and I have proof. So IMO Future does yellow. I also have had it crack but I digress...
Now as far as saving your ship. The only thing is to strip off the Future with Amonia or Windex and go again.

I do have a question. Did you paint the Enterprise white by chance?
The reason I ask is that white will also yellow over time depending on the brand and type used.

Max Bryant
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Was the undercoat acrylic or enamel or lacquer (or tempura? ;) )

Crackling Future I found mostly when glosscoating over a glossy paint. Now I use semi-gloss, even if just a little flat base in the paint.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

Tamiya Matte White TS-27 spray. If I had used glossy to begin with I wouldn't have sealed it with the Future. I only gloss coated it for the decals. I believe the issue is that I put too much on as I can see areas that were harder to reach that don't have the yellow hint.

Anywhoooo... I'm not killing myself over it. It'll mostly be hidden by the details anyway.

mightymax

Doh

Post by mightymax »

This is what I get for comprehending what I read :oops:

I thought this was an older model so it could also have been the white paint.
Since it was only Friday then the paint is not the offender.

How old is your Future? The stuff I have that yellowed in the bottle is at least a decade or more old.

Cheers,
Max Bryant
woozle

Post by woozle »

Other then the possibility of chemical contamination (from the pait itself, I suppose), the only thing that could cause yellowing would be sunlight over time, though that's a very short period of time.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

woozle wrote:Other then the possibility of chemical contamination (from the pait itself, I suppose), the only thing that could cause yellowing would be sunlight over time, though that's a very short period of time.
It's had absolutely no exposure to the sun as I have been working on it in my garage and I bought the Future 3 weeks ago at a big chain grocer.

I'm not worried about, anyway. Like I said, it's yellowing where it's heavier so I think that has something to do with. My detail work will hide it anyway.

I was just curious.

DocTor

Post by DocTor »

I heard that if you add a few drops of light blue to the white before spraying, the blue won't be noticable but the white will never yellow over time. Has anyone else heard this?
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

I read this too. It was on the instruction sheet for the aztecking decals I bought for the Excelsior.

Last edited by CaptainHawk1 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Those rattlecans are enamels, IIRC. MAke sure you give them plenty of time before covering with acrylic.

Terry Miesle
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

Actually. I hadn't put a drop of paint on it in 2 weeks.

big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I have an almost full bottle of Future that, while in a box, turned into what looks like a bottle of pee.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

DocTor wrote:I heard that if you add a few drops of light blue to the white before spraying, the blue won't be noticable but the white will never yellow over time. Has anyone else heard this?
Yep that is a trick that goes way back.

Cheers,
Max Bryant
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

big-dog wrote:I have an almost full bottle of Future that, while in a box, turned into what looks like a bottle of pee.
That's probably not a good thing.
How was it stored - and did you somehow contaminate the contents - pour fluid back in, pipette directly from the container etc?

Terry Miesle
DocTor

Post by DocTor »

I have a 5yo bottle with a sqeeze top. Crystal clear!