Airbrush Survey

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

denstore

Post by denstore »

Kylwell wrote:Iwata has also come out with a trigger action ab: http://www.iwata-medea.com/index.php/products/hp_tr1/
It's a nice airbrush as well, but there are a few downsides.
It's a sidefeeder, and I feel that most modellers are better suited with gravity fed airbrushes.
It doesn't have any needle preset. I rarely use presets on my conventional airbrushes, but the trigger actions do benefit from it.
And finally the price. It's expensive. You'll get more for your money buying Grex, Richpen, Mr Hobby or Tamiya trigger action airbrushes.
WolfRayet

Air Brush

Post by WolfRayet »

I am buying my 1st airbrush and this site has a lot of good info. I haven't decided yet but i think I might get 2, one for medium and large coverage ( Bottom Feed) and one for detail (Gravity feed).. I think it will be from 1 of the 3 companies, Paasche, Badger or Iwata. Haven't made up my mind, this and the compressor. Paasche has a nice looking 2 piston one, but I am going to look at Harbor Freight and Northern.

Any suggestions or what and why would definitely be of help.

Also, has anyone tried Krylon Fusion Primer? I can't seem to find how it works on Model Styrene.

I go overboard on this stuff, after I bought my Roman Sword my wife went ballistic.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I have been happy with Iwata AB (CR) and as for Krylon Fusion Primer... it should work... but I use automotive primer myself.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
denstore

Re: Air Brush

Post by denstore »

WolfRayet wrote:I am buying my 1st airbrush and this site has a lot of good info. I haven't decided yet but i think I might get 2, one for medium and large coverage ( Bottom Feed) and one for detail (Gravity feed).. I think it will be from 1 of the 3 companies, Paasche, Badger or Iwata. Haven't made up my mind, this and the compressor. Paasche has a nice looking 2 piston one, but I am going to look at Harbor Freight and Northern.

Any suggestions or what and why would definitely be of help.

Also, has anyone tried Krylon Fusion Primer? I can't seem to find how it works on Model Styrene.

I go overboard on this stuff, after I bought my Roman Sword my wife went ballistic.
If I had to chose among those brands, I would definitly go with Iwata. But there are a lot of other brands make good airbrushes. And most japanese made airbrushes are comparable to Iwata in quality, but usually a lot cheaper.
Check out the Peak C-5 and X-5 at www.bearair.com.
And they have some compressors as well.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

As much as I hate their airbrushes, Badger makes some indestructible compressors. I've had my Badger Model 180-11 for close to 20 years and 4 moves. I've done hour long spray sessions that make it hot but it's never given me an issue.

For brushes, Iwata and I get my Iwata from Tom Grossman (who's here on the board) @ Hummingline. Tom's forgotten more about a/b than most people will ever know and his tech support is beyond compare.
Abolish Alliteration
WolfRayet

Post by WolfRayet »

[/quote]If I had to chose among those brands, I would definitly go with Iwata. But there are a lot of other brands make good airbrushes. And most japanese made airbrushes are comparable to Iwata in quality, but usually a lot cheaper.
And they have some compressors as well.[/quote]

Thanks for the URL, but the addee doesn't work.
WolfRayet

Post by WolfRayet »

starmanmm wrote:I have been happy with Iwata AB (CR) and as for Krylon Fusion Primer... it should work... but I use automotive primer myself.
I'm looking at Auto primer too along with Krylon Black, Rust-O-Leum, Duplicolor. I haven't read any real good things about paint sticking to Styrene. The Fusion is supposed to have a touch of a accelerator which I think adds to the bonding of the paint to Styrene. It kind of melts it in, but I haven't experimented with it. Can you tell me the Automotive primer you use and any special consideration you take in using it?

I don't mind the expense of an airbrush, I'm retired. So a hundred here or there isn't a problem. I just want a good one or a couple to use for fine lines and one for coverage.

I'm also looking into the lighting circuits used in the models. You all are running too many wires, you can cut about half of the wiring down by using a bus. and why put the circuit boards in the model. They don't have to be close, put the boards in the stand.

If I am in the wrong forum, just point me to the right on.
denstore

Post by denstore »

WolfRayet wrote:
If I had to chose among those brands, I would definitly go with Iwata. But there are a lot of other brands make good airbrushes. And most japanese made airbrushes are comparable to Iwata in quality, but usually a lot cheaper.
And they have some compressors as well.[/quote]

Thanks for the URL, but the addee doesn't work.[/quote]

Try this:
www.bearair.com
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

For primers... I use ( on both styrene and resin ) Brite Touch from a store chain in my area called Bennys and Dupli-Color Filler Primer. What I do is wash the kit with a degreaser and let it dry overnight. Then I spray a light coat on the kit (to me this gives something for the next coat of primer to grab onto)... let it dry and give another light coat. I build up my coats of primer... that way I don't loose any detail. Let it dry overnight and wet sand it with 800 or higher. Wipe it down, let it dry and then get onto painting. Now the wetsanding is just my deal.... not everyone wetsands after they prime. But doing it gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

As for AB... just like what I mentioned before ( Iwata) except for the base coat I use a Badger 200. For fine stuff.... Sotar 20/20
WolfRayet

Post by WolfRayet »

starmanmm wrote:For primers... I use ( on both styrene and resin ) Brite Touch from a store chain in my area called Bennys and Dupli-Color Filler Primer. What I do is wash the kit with a degreaser and let it dry overnight. Then I spray a light coat on the kit (to me this gives something for the next coat of primer to grab onto)... let it dry and give another light coat. I build up my coats of primer... that way I don't loose any detail. Let it dry overnight and wet sand it with 800 or higher. Wipe it down, let it dry and then get onto painting. Now the wetsanding is just my deal.... not everyone wetsands after they prime. But doing it gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

As for AB... just like what I mentioned before ( Iwata) except for the base coat I use a Badger 200. For fine stuff.... Sotar 20/20
Thanks. I know of Dupli-color, but never heard of Brite Touch. I'm interested in getting a good 1st Prime coat once the paint sticks, you can just about do anything you want.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I think it is just a store brand of primer (Brite Touch). I have no issues with it and the price is right.
WolfRayet

Air Brush Picks

Post by WolfRayet »

Ok, I think the following is what I want:

Manufacture: Iwata

1) HP-BCS Bottom feed, Large 2 in coverage
2) HP-CH Gravity feed, 1/3 ounce Cup, supposed to be hairline
3) HP-SB Side feed, Basically to see how it works

Still considering the Badger 360, I kinda like the choices it offers.

I also decided on getting a Porter-Cable 150psi compressor from Home Depot, it comes with a Braid Nail Gun and has a 6 gallon tank. I think it's a good buy for $159.00. I need to get fittings for it and a water filter. The filter is at home depot too, so no problem in that area.

Anyone have any problems with these Air Brushes, let me know. I am totally a NOOB in this area.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

How quiet is the compressor? A lot of workplace compressors are noisier than hell and tend to disturb the neighborhood.
Abolish Alliteration
denstore

Re: Air Brush Picks

Post by denstore »

WolfRayet wrote:Ok, I think the following is what I want:

Manufacture: Iwata

1) HP-BCS Bottom feed, Large 2 in coverage
2) HP-CH Gravity feed, 1/3 ounce Cup, supposed to be hairline
3) HP-SB Side feed, Basically to see how it works

Still considering the Badger 360, I kinda like the choices it offers.

I also decided on getting a Porter-Cable 150psi compressor from Home Depot, it comes with a Braid Nail Gun and has a 6 gallon tank. I think it's a good buy for $159.00. I need to get fittings for it and a water filter. The filter is at home depot too, so no problem in that area.

Anyone have any problems with these Air Brushes, let me know. I am totally a NOOB in this area.
I'm sure those airbrushes will work fine for you. Only objection would be the HP-SB. I really can't see the need for it. Most people who buys side feeders do it for the versatility. But since you already have picked a siphon fed and a gravity fed, there's really no need for a HP-SB.

And I agree with Kylwell. Try to listen to the compressor before you buy it. Some of these "hobby"-compressors are extremly noisy. And remember, you will run out of air in the tank at the least convenient moment possible. So, even if people say that they fill the tank in the day and use what's in the tank when they airbrush at night, it might not work out that way. Look into a silent compressor. Since you obviously have money to spend, an investment in a silent compressor might be more important than the airbrushes. Personally, I would say that a better start would be only the HP-CH, combined with a Sil-Air or similar compressor.

Edit: Maybe this discussion should be separated from the airbrush survey thread?
Last edited by denstore on Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WolfRayet

Post by WolfRayet »

Kylwell wrote:How quiet is the compressor? A lot of workplace compressors are noisier than hell and tend to disturb the neighborhood.
I have no idea, but they don't complain when I run my table saw in the evenings and that's loud as hell. I'll be working in my garage, so I don't expect any problems. Besides it's better than listening to the kid up the block learning drumming. Now, that really hurt the ears, along with being off beat.
WolfRayet

Re: Air Brush Picks

Post by WolfRayet »

denstore wrote: I'm sure those airbrushes will work fine for you. Only objection would be the HP-SB. I really can't see the need for it. Most people who buys side feeders do it for the versatility. But since you already have picked a siphon fed and a gravity fed, there's really no need for a HP-SB.

And I agree with Kylwell. Try to listen to the compressor before you buy it. Some of these "hobby"-compressors are extremly noisy. And remember, you will run out of air in the tank at the least convenient moment possible. So, even if people say that they fill the tank in the day and use what's in the tank when they airbrush at night, it might not work out that way. Look into a silent compressor. Since you obviously have money to spend, an investment in a silent compressor might be more important than the airbrushes. Personally, I would say that a better start would be only the HP-CH, combined with a Sil-Air or similar compressor.
The Compressor and the 6 gallon tank comes as an item, it has 2 output fittings for air tools (Nail gun). It's suitable for an air brush though. I've been looking at nail guns anyway, good excuse to get one now. The noise isn't a problem, if my table saw doesn't bother them, this air compressor won't. This is definitely not a hobby compressor.
Faefrost

Post by Faefrost »

I just recently picked up a little Iwata Ninja jet compressor and I have been impressed with how it works out at least for my level of modeling. http://www.iwata-medea.com/index.php/products/ninja_jet
The thing is tiny. Maybe 10" square by 4" high. and it is quiet. My main reason for getting anew compressor was my wife couldn't stand the noise from my old one. It could be heard throughout the neighborhood. The little Iwata is about as loud as a standard household fan.

Is there anything I should watch out for with a compressor this small? I typically do small kits so I don't spray a lot of paint at once and don't really need an air reservoir. I use an Iwata Revolution CR airbrush and the little ninja thingy seems to work well enough with it.
jafo

Post by jafo »

IMHO the dupli-color filler primer is too thick for modeling use and fills in too many fine details, I prefre dupli-colors sandable primer which comes in 3 colors and goes on very fine :D
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I don't have one, but I would suggest that.....

First.... read the instructions and if there is some sort of maintenance to this (oiling the unit) follow those instructions.

See if there is a problem with running it for long periods ( half hour or so)... it may get hot.

Also... see if the company you got it from has tech help and pick their brains... ask them what they recommend.

My 2 cents
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

starmanmm wrote:
Also... see if the company you got it from has tech help and pick their brains... ask them what they recommend.

My 2 cents
That would be our very own Tom Grossman. I think that's his forum name, too.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
lzqqqq
Banned

Post by lzqqqq »

Moderator zapped Spambot links.
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Id really appreciate everyone's help. I've got an Aztek 320 and would like to upgrade to a better airbrush. I usually paint with enamels, mainly do 1/1400 and 1/1000 scale starships, and i'd like a gravity feed able to do hairlines. I'd also like to stay in the $90-130 range if possible. I've been looking at the Iwata Eclipse and Revolution, but they both seem to have needles that are too big for fine detail work? I don't really know. Any recommendations?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You can get pretty fine with an Eclipse. Not quite hairline but still damned fine.
Abolish Alliteration
starsend

Post by starsend »

Magnus wrote:Id really appreciate everyone's help. I've got an Aztek 320 and would like to upgrade to a better airbrush. I usually paint with enamels, mainly do 1/1400 and 1/1000 scale starships, and i'd like a gravity feed able to do hairlines. I'd also like to stay in the $90-130 range if possible. I've been looking at the Iwata Eclipse and Revolution, but they both seem to have needles that are too big for fine detail work? I don't really know. Any recommendations?
I'm no expert, but my HS Evolution 2 in 1 works incredibly well with both larger areas and finer detail. Check it out and maybe ask about the model to someone who knows for about airbrushed than I do!
chiver

Post by chiver »

Which is better internal or external mix? And what brand and make, my internal mixed air bruch is all Jamed up beyond repair.
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

chiver wrote:Which is better internal or external mix? And what brand and make, my internal mixed air bruch is all Jamed up beyond repair.
Internal, Iwata, any of them.
Abolish Alliteration
Squall67584

Post by Squall67584 »

My old airbrush city compressor took a crap on itself after sitting unused for... well, too long. I was looking on bearair.com and was thinking about this one: http://www.bearair.com/Polar-Bear-1000- ... fo/120305/

Any thoughts? It's similar to my old one, which worked perfectly for my uses. It got hot, but I put a fan on it and it would stay cool.
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Squall67584 wrote:My old airbrush city compressor took a crap on itself after sitting unused for... well, too long.
My old Airbrush City compressor crapped out on me, too, but it did it right in the middle of a project!

I ended up buying an Iwata SmartJet at WonderFest this year and it rocks.

Tom Grossman's store (my compressor is the IS 850):

http://virtual2.pcisys.net/h/humminglin ... ssors.html

And here's the compressor I bought:

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/com ... smart-jet/

I've modified mine with quick-disconnects so I can switch between my Paasche H and Iwata Revolution brushes "on the fly" during a project.

An Iwata is pricier than what you'd linked to, but I know that if I ever have problems with it, I won't have any issues with parts or service. Iwata stands behind their products.

A former boss used to say "Buy cheap, buy twice. Spend more money on quality and it'll last."
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Squall67584

Post by Squall67584 »

I shopped around until 1 in the morning online, and decided to go with a Paasche D220R with a regulator. It's a 1/6 hp, so it should meet my needs.
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
Chas

Grex?

Post by Chas »

Anyone have experience with Grex brushes or compressors?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.