Face Painting - 1/6th scale - tips and suggestions?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kenobi1125

Face Painting - 1/6th scale - tips and suggestions?

Post by kenobi1125 »

I have a Horizon '89 Batman kit that I've started working on and I've never (in recent times) painted flesh/eyes etc at this or any scale. So I'm asking for any hits or tips or suggestions as to how best to tackle these parts. Under coat? Paint brands, and anything that might help myself and others get a good result before I go and mess it up. :)

I also have an airbrush if a technique requires it.

Thanks in advance.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I don't know enough about the subject to give any advice here. But you could check out Amazing Figure Modeler, and I'm sure they will be most helpful.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
kenobi1125

Post by kenobi1125 »

Thanks, most of my experience with that mag/site has been horror and outlandish type kits. But thankfully, there is an online tips section that does detail a few normal skin techniques.
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

Check out either "How to Build Dioramas" by Shep Paine or the Model Master Technical Reference Guide for the basics. Gremlins in the Garage may have a tutorial for you.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've also heard of the 'clown' technique for eyes, but I'm not sure if it works at that scale--it seems to be mostly referred to in the gaming scales.

Anyway, the idea is to swipe white paint across the eyes--don't worry about width--go from temple to temple in one swath. Then do the iris color perpendicular to the eyes, not quite filling the eyesocket. then do a dot of dark gray/black for the pupil, and then color the face normally.

For facial tones, I've heard a lot of people mix their own from red, sienna, white, and yellow.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Also put a thread in the Figures forum.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

admiralcag wrote:Check out either "How to Build Dioramas" by Shep Paine or the Model Master Technical Reference Guide for the basics. Gremlins in the Garage may have a tutorial for you.

Vern
Gremlins is at www.gremlins.com. I would have put the link in, but I got caught by an auto-reboot.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
Stubbs

Post by Stubbs »

I used to do vinyl figures and Warhammer 40k pieces, so I've done a lot of faces before.

First, a good, smooth primer coat.

Second, I prefer to hand paint faces and skin with acrylic paints, specifically Citadel brands. They're easily obtained, go on well, mix fine, and there is an amazing variety of colors and inks.

Third, when I paint, I always thin the paint down with water. I never use it at the consistancy out of the jar.

Fourth, I start with the darker colors first. The valleys around the nose, the temples, the eyes, ears, and mouth. Then I paint the lighter colors over them. This helps me create the shadows.

Eyes are always tricky, since they are what gives the figure the most character. A well painted set of eyes will make the subject look impressive. A not-so-done set of eyes will make Batman look insane.

For eyes, I paint the white in first (sometimes well over the eye itself, since it can be touched up later). Then the iris gets painted in. Using a 00000 size brush, I paint in the pupil. This is done with the paint at full strength, since I want a little drop that won't run. The finishing touch is a small fleck of white (or blue, or red, whatever mood you want to depict) in the pupil itself to illustrate a reflection in the eyes.

The rest of the model can be treated as that. Just a model. I did a Batman figure years ago, and for the most part, he was done with a rattlecan. The only handpainted part on him was the face. If you like, I can dig him out from storage and take some photos of the face or anything else you like.
What's more dangerous? The guy holding a gun to your head, or the guy who has the literary skill to make poison read like sugar?

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/ ... hotobucket 'el Stubbserino</a>
Sci Fi Smoker

Post by Sci Fi Smoker »

I've used eye decals on my Chewbacca and Yoda. Granted, these figures are 1/4 but I also have 1/6 eyes and am currently using them on my Kaiyodo Han Solo. Using a tiny thin brush I paint in the whites using Apple Barrel Sandstone, apply a coat of Future, let it dry then apply the decals making sure to keep them straight and even. Apply several more coats of Future until I'm satisfied with the sheen. Here's a shot of my Screamin Yoda, only his lightsaber remains unfinished.

http://www.badongo.com/pic/274660

Han Solo is my first Human figure so painting the face is new to me, too. Reading this thread with interest.
A free man can never be defeated, he can only be killed.
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

Hay kenobi1125

Last night I found my book "How to Build Dioramas by Shep Paine"

Ill bring it to work and scan the section on face painting for you.

Glen
woozle

Post by woozle »

By the way, here's the Archer's page for eyes and tattoos:
http://www.archertransfers.com/catFig.html
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Now if it was 1/1 scale face painting I'd get my girlfriend to provide advice. From the amount of time she spends practicing on herself she must be an expert by now :D

And if you don't see me posting again, call the cops 'cos I've probably been murdered :D
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »