Iwata users: How often do you replace a nozzle/needle?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Jonas Calhoun

Iwata users: How often do you replace a nozzle/needle?

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Subject pretty much says it all...I've got an Eclipse, and was just wondering how often everyone replaces nozzles/needles? When they get bent, when they show signs of wearing out (and how do you tell?), every year, etc...

Not that I'm worried mine is wearing out, but just more out of curiosity.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
ralphee

Post by ralphee »

I just upgraded to a micron, be nice to know the same as my previous brushes have been azteks!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

When I break them. Not a moment sooner.

Now, this isn't saying much as I have a bad habbit of breaking them about one a year.

To my knowlegde, you will more than likely damage them before you wear them out. As an example, Doug, or SinisterAir.com is an airbrushing madman. 4 brushes, silent compressor, spends hours airbrushing. He has one brush (his custom micron B IIRC) that he has managed to never damage and has yet to replace a part on. It's well over 10 years old and who knows how many hours.

As a note, I'd be really curious if there is some sort of MTBF for airbrushes.
Abolish Alliteration
android

Post by android »

They say they wear out, which could happen since paint pigment is abrasive and there is contact between the needle and the nozzle, but I think you'd have to use one hours a day for years for this to happen.

I've got 3 Iwata airbrushes with the oldest being 5 years old and never changed a needle, nor does mine even look worn.
android

Post by android »

ralphee wrote:I just upgraded to a micron, be nice to know the same as my previous brushes have been azteks!
With the Microns I believe you have to buy the nozzle and needle together since they are "matched" at the factory. So don't bend a needle or it will cost you.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

That is true Android. The Custom Micro tips and needles are lapped for a prefect fit. Unfortunately this means that all the parts are not interchangable.
Abolish Alliteration
didihno

Post by didihno »

My Revolution is still relatively new, and the only hassle I've had with it is a stuck needle a couple of times when my cleaning has been poor.

Cleaning seems to be everything with these things. And straight away too.
Don't even go to the toilet or answer the phone.
Clean the brush out. NOW!
He tasks me! He tasks me and I shall have him!
BlackBirdCD

Post by BlackBirdCD »

If you're careful, you shouldn't have to replace it. That is unless damaged, as stated above. So far my HP-C has been going great for a bit over a year now.

And you'll know if you damage the needle. Once when cleaning my Badger 150 needle, I dropped it. Just like buttered toast, the thing twisted until the needle end hit square onto the concrete floor. That put a hook in it that I never got out. Didn't even bother trying to shove it back in the airbrush :)
Nothing unreal exists
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

You are all right about the needle--that'd probably be damaged by myself before it's worn out...but in looking at the nozzle, it looks like it's made to wear away, and somewhat evenly too...so as it wears down, it opens just a bit, the needle fits in there, etc. So you just wouldn't get the hairline stuff in there.

In talking with Iwata, they say it depends on what goes through the brush--metallics are more abrasive, pearlescents a bit less, inks not so much, that sort of thing. So they couldn't give a MTBF.

They said when the brush stops shooting a clean line is when to replace--like the spray isn't perfectly rounds anymore.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin