Can I use EasyOff to remove paint from Starcrafts' resin?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

SocrManiac

Can I use EasyOff to remove paint from Starcrafts' resin?

Post by SocrManiac »

I got a couple of Starcrafts' ships on, uh, an auction site... They're rather poorly painted (heavily brushed paint) and I want to strip it. I've successfully used the "toxic taco" approach on AMT kits- will this work on a resin kit?

Thankee!
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Yes.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

I concur with my esteemed colleague. You can indeed remove paint from Starcrafts' resin with no ill effects.
Trekmanscott

Post by Trekmanscott »

I've done it several times. Works great. Good luck on your projects.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" Leonard Nimoy
darthmadonna

Post by darthmadonna »

I to have done it! Easy off oven cleaner in a big yellow can I bought at Safeway. Some foul smelling stuff , be carefully using it.
BKShepherd

Post by BKShepherd »

Hi I have just joined the site, But I have found a good way of cleaning Paint away , GOO-Gone and it WILL NOT hurt your plastic and it smells good also :wink:
There is no such thing as Gravity .... The Earth Sucks ;-)
Keptin Barnes

Post by Keptin Barnes »

Don't use the Easy-Off "fume free" product. Also known as the Blue Can.

For some strange reason, that one won't take paint off of any model. Resin or plastic. I've bought two cans of it, and it just doesn't work.

The yellow can with the nasty killing fumes has always worked for me. I guess it's the fumes that get rid of the paint. The paint smells it and says, "S**t! I'm outta here!" And the paint goes away. lol.

Also, make certain that the can is relatively new. 6 months old at the most. It seems to lose it's strength over time. So the newer the can the better the paint removal.

You can use older 'E-O' of you want. You just have to spray it multiple times. Even then there is no guarantee. With a new can, 1 coat is generally enough.
"Now Father Jack. What do you say to a nice cup of tea?"
"Feck off, Cup!!"

Namaste--The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you. We are One. :please:

NEW STORY PUBLISHED! Check it out. My first Novelette!. April Welles:

More of my builds:
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb10 ... oductions/