Having Problems with New Decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

Having Problems with New Decals

Post by starmanmm »

Ok, bought some aftermarket decals (from a known dealer) for TOS Romulan Bird of Prey. My problem is that the decal for the body of the bird is so large that when I dip the decal in water, it starts to curl on me making it hard to slide onto the underbelly of the ship.

It seems to me that the decal film is too thin. Not enough body to give it some rigidity, if you know what I mean. I believe that this is the nature of aftermarket decals.

I am now on my second set, so what can I do to prevent that from happening again? I would like to finish this model.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Brush Microscale's Liquid Decal Film on the decal sheet. Use a broad, flat brush and let it dry completely before you add a second coat - if required.

THe liquid decal film is an absolute must for most aftermarket sheets.

You also might consider cutting it into 3 parts, if there are natural break points.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Thanks for the suggestion of using Microscale's Liquid Decal Film!

As for cutting it, this is the decal of the body of the bird for this bird of prey and I don't think that I can cut it without it looking funky once I try to put it back together! :doubt:

Thanks
rossjr

Post by rossjr »

It seems to me Testors has a spray of the same stuff, and I got some other stuff from MicroMark, but I agree with Terry it's a must for most aftermarket and homemade decals.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

It seems to me Testors has a spray of the same stuff, and I got some other stuff from MicroMark, but I agree with Terry it's a must for most aftermarket and homemade decals.
It would seem that I was unaware of that fact. :wink:
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I've got to re-work my little decal guide, and really tweak it toward aftermarket decals. That's what I"m doing at this year's Wonderfest demo.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Spoke with a friend about what I had learned here about aftermarket decals. He too was unaware that you had to spray them with a decal film to help make them usable.

This was good info!