Airbrushing Apple Barrel

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

USSARCADIA

Airbrushing Apple Barrel

Post by USSARCADIA »

Anybody have luck airbrushing these paints from Micheal's? Do they thin enough to run through? I've mixed up the appropriate color in these for the Jemmie BC but can't seem to get an exact match in Tamiya.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
mightymax

Re: Airbrushing Apple Barrel

Post by mightymax »

USSARCADIA wrote:Anybody have luck airbrushing these paints from Micheal's? Do they thin enough to run through? I've mixed up the appropriate color in these for the Jemmie BC but can't seem to get an exact match in Tamiya.
I tried once to paint an aircraft using these and my trusty Paasche H3.
They have a bad tendency to clog the tip frequently. I got it to work but had to constantly clean the tip.
I recently had a guy in my club come up with a trick for these and he said it works great. I have yet to try it myself.
Anyway instead of using windex, water, or washer solvent to thin use this.
Future Floor Wax. He said he thinned with future and they sprayed like a dream.

Cheers,
Max Bryant
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Thanks, Max, I'll give it a try. I'll try it on some color I don't need. I have Future, so all I need is time and a sunny day. Thanks again.
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

USSARCADIA wrote:Thanks, Max, I'll give it a try. I'll try it on some color I don't need. I have Future, so all I need is time and a sunny day. Thanks again.
Please post your results.

Max
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Will do, I'll try it this weekend.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Have you tried rubbing alcohol?
Normal?? What is normal??
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I tried rubbing alcohol, disaster. The paint curdled, turned into lumps. I'll hafta try Future too, I love that stuff.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Same here with alcohol, got all gummy.
Loachnut

Post by Loachnut »

I use apple barrel paints for all my models now. Have been for several years now.
When airbrushing with them I use windshield washer fluid with good results. Occasionally, I use future, but the washer fluid works well.
Most of the time I use a 50/50 mixture, but some colors seem to need to be thinner.
The most important thing is to strain the paint after it has been thinned, before it goes into the airbrush. This stuff seems to get some serious lumps that refuse to be broken down. And you will have to wipe a clog from the nozzle once in a while.

Other than that they seem to work well, and the price can't be beat. I buy mine at Wal-Mart for .44 cents a bottle. (2oz. bottle)

Hope this helps
Jody the "Loachnut"
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Yes that helps. I'll try both methods, thanks much.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Just got done testing both methods, results here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/u ... nttest.jpg

The Windex mix on the left was runny and spattered. The Future mix on right came out and applied like a dream. That is the way to go with these paints.

In the end I went with Tamiya paints for the Jemmie BC base coat and will probably stay with these for the whole ship. I'll use the Apple Barrel on another project.

Hope this is helpful to some of you.
mightymax

Future

Post by mightymax »

HI USSARCADIA,

Thanks for letting us know your results. So I guess the Future tip was a good one.
Thanks for sharing.

Max Bryant
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Your welcome. Thanks for passing the Future tip along.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Excellent work! I've had to do the same with Delta Ceramcoat paints. I think, though I am not sure they may be made by the same people.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Not sure about that, but the Delta paints seem to be a bit thicker. They do brush on better, though. I use them for plastercast.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

USSARCADIA wrote:Not sure about that, but the Delta paints seem to be a bit thicker. They do brush on better, though. I use them for plastercast.
I was wrong. Delta are made in California and the Apple Barrel paints are made somewhere down south.

While I've been able to airbrush individual Delta colors fine, I can't spray mixtures. The pigments are too course. Have you tried mixed Apple Barrel paints?

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I only just tried the one color. I'll probably try using them on a future project. If I have time I'll mix some and spray a test.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

USSARCADIA wrote:I only just tried the one color. I'll probably try using them on a future project. If I have time I'll mix some and spray a test.
Cool. Me too. I couldn't help but notice how many of them look close to Luftwaffe colors and sci-fi colors. :) At 44 cents a piece for two ounces, I can't pass them up if this works.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

JimPV

Post by JimPV »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:I was wrong. Delta are made in California and the Apple Barrel paints are made somewhere down south.
Georgia, to be specific; by Plaid Enterprises. The co. I work for! :wink:
"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone"
-Coco Chanel
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

JimPV wrote:
Lt. Z0mBe wrote:I was wrong. Delta are made in California and the Apple Barrel paints are made somewhere down south.
Cool! Have you tried airbrushing them after mixing colors?

Thanks,

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

JimPV

Post by JimPV »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:
JimPV wrote:
Cool! Have you tried airbrushing them after mixing colors?
Oh, I've never actually used the stuff...! :lol:

Not to bite the hand that feeds me, but I'd be hesitant about using a 44 cent (for 2 oz) bottle of paint on a kit I've spent good $$ on and a lot of time building. It's Liquitex tube acrylics or bottled hobby paints for me. But that's just me; if you've have good luck with 'em, more power to ya'. :)
"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone"
-Coco Chanel
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Just another update. I mixxed a yellow with a green and thinned it down with Future(not too thin). It came out fine once it dried: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/u ... aytest.jpg

This is sprayed on top of the Tamiya purple I used for the Jemmie BC. Coverage was rather good. Next I'm using an AB dark purple mix on the actual model.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

USSARCADIA wrote:Just another update. I mixxed a yellow with a green and thinned it down with Future(not too thin). It came out fine once it dried: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/u ... aytest.jpg

This is sprayed on top of the Tamiya purple I used for the Jemmie BC. Coverage was rather good. Next I'm using an AB dark purple mix on the actual model.
AWESOME!! :thumbsup: Thanks for that. I'd hoped to custom mix some Luftwaffe colors, but I haven't been able to complete my 109 project.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Matthew Usher

Post by Matthew Usher »

Liquitex makes a product called "Flow Aid" that extends the open time of most acrylic paints. I mix it with Tamiya acrylics occasionally and I've had good results.

Matt Usher @ FSM
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Thanks Matt. I didn't think of that(would dishwashing soap do?). You're welcome Kenny, I would suggest mxing really well and maybe even strain it. Those paints tend to glob up easier than some acrylics. As soon as I spray the next bit I''ll post more pics.
ModlrMike

Post by ModlrMike »

I too strongly recommend straining. When you mix in your thinning agent, some of the pigments will clump. You might also get some dried residue in your bottle over time that will clog your airbrush.
Regards...
Michael
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

What do you use for straining paint? Mesh, coffee filters, etc.?
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Old panty hose(my wife's, of course :) ).
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Matthew Usher wrote:Liquitex makes a product called "Flow Aid" that extends the open time of most acrylic paints. I mix it with Tamiya acrylics occasionally and I've had good results.

Matt Usher @ FSM
I used this in the test of one of the other brands that they had next to the apple barrel. they had pearlescent black which is what I want as a base coat for a space base. It changed the color on me, so I mixed in future, a lot till it was thin as it needed to be.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>