I did a veeeeery stupid thing. . .

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

I did a veeeeery stupid thing. . .

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I accidently put the cap for my dullcote onto the can for "Light Sea Grey" and sprayed it all over my freshly decaled upper hull of my Saladin class ship "USS Challenger". I had already put a coat of Future over the decals and was going to spray dullcote over them to dull down the gloss. Is there any way to save the decals without having to order a new set? I only used the name, regisrty, those two squares on the B-C teardrop, the two red stripes in between that and the impulse strip, and the "L" shaped decals beside that.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Before it's too cured, use a fine sanding pad and lightly wet sand the paint off.

I presume we're talking about acrylic paint?
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
MillenniumFalsehood

I think so. I did something else that was about a stupid before I painted the final coat: I sort of mixed acrylic and enamels by mistake. I first sprayed rattlecan light sea gray as a primer(so it would stand out better against the black) and then did the preshading with flat black. I sprayed the black on, and as soon as I did the primer floated up out of the black. Is this an indicator of what type of paint the "primer" is?

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Some of those rattlecan paints are pretty hot, and some take forever to cure. I don't use them much, because I find it hard to predict what they'll do. I think you have a mess on your hands....
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I think you're pretty hosed. But at least you have a horror story to tell the grandkids.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
woozle

Post by woozle »

Would an Amonia Bath clean it all off, to start over?
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
MillenniumFalsehood

I use Easy-off to strip kits, but what I want to do is preserve the decals, because I only used a few as opposed to the 30 or so that I have left. I think I'm going to just strip everything and buy a new set. I tried sanding and since there are a few plateaus I didn't know about, I ended up sanding off a good deal of weathering. I think buying new decals will be the most hassle-free method.

armentage

Post by armentage »

I once did something like this.

I had decals applied, and coated my kit with some Future. When I went to do a Dull-Coat (Testors laquer based), I accidentally sprayed enamel Testors Gull-Gray all over my kit.

I immediately used some enamel brush cleaner on the wet paint, and it came right off. Didn't leave any color behind at all!