I will never hand-brush canopies again

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

I will never hand-brush canopies again

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

Wow!

Tonite I tried a tip I picked up here on SSM and masked off an airplane cockpit canopy with Bare Metal Foil to paint. I was extremely impressed with the ease of the application and the result. I just improved my modeling skills ten-fold, I think. Very nice! Just wanted to share this with you all. Thanks to whoever posted that tip a while back!

Chris
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Ummm...how exactly does this work? :? The same way as with masking tape? Please share our knowledge... :D
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Yes, the same as with masking tape, except the BMF adheres more closely, comforms better to the curves of the part, cuts easier, it's thinner so it is easier to see the canopy frame while you are cutting through it, and when it comes off it doesn't leave any sticky residue. I prefer Parafilm for these same reasons, though I can understand why BMF has so many converts.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

And where to get it...? :?
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Hobby shop, model train shop. I don't know how thses things work in Austria, but that's where I'd start. Hope it helps.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
woozle

Post by woozle »

and this relates to not hand-brushing.. how? are you airbrushing instead?
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

I've used BMF for masking for years. The only problem I've had with it was getting it off the model. Trying to get a corner to lift generally resulted in sctratching up the protected surface. Solution was to take balled up masking tape and dab at the foil until it lifts then take tweezers and pull off the foil. You don't need a large ball of tape, only the size of a small marble.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
TheIrishAvenger

Yeah, just mask the whole canopy in the foil, cut it away from the frame part that you need to paint, then airbrush. Or even rattle-can it. I've been able to then lift away the foil with my X-acto blade...so I didn't have any problems like Timescape did, but I could see how his tape trick can work better. I might adapt to that next time.

Chris
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
TheIrishAvenger

Woozle: Yeah, I used to hand brush all my canopy frames....now that I've tried this trick, I can airbrush with much better result. My handbrushed canopies always looked like wet dog, if ya know what I mean. That was the point I was trying to make. Sorry.

Chris
woozle

Post by woozle »

heh.. s'ry.. just giving ya a hard time. I can never brush a canopy either, though i'm trying to get a tinted Future technique to work.. but all i'm really gettihng good at is amonia baths to clean it off. :D
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

I Haven´t got big probs painting canopies as long as the area that needs to be painted is raised. Then I don´t even mask off...always worked. But now I´ll have to paint the canopies of two RC2 Jedi Starfighters....that´s gonna be though. :x :evil:
TheIrishAvenger

The frustrating thing for me is that when I hand paint canopies, or anything else for that matter, the paint always goes on unevenly, where you can see the brush strokes. It also takes many coats to finally get a solid color, as opposed to still being able to see the base plastic color. I've always used Model Master paints straight out of the bottle for hand brushing, so I don't know, maybe it's time to try another brand of paint. I mask and airbrush almost everything now though, so it's not too big a deal yet. Just one of those things that kinda comes with the territory I suppose.

Chris
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?