Air Compressors

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kronan

Post by Kronan »

Has anyone here tried to use a nebulizer pump? They're oil less, but I don't know what the pressure output is (probably lower than 15 PSI). I'd feed a small tank with it to stabilize the pressure blips, but don't know if the pressure will be enough. If I get some free time to set up a rig, I'll let you know (I've got a few different units, so maybe one will work better than others).
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I used one in high school with my first Testor's airbrsh kit. It turned out that the airbrush hose female end was just a hair larger nside than the outside diameter of the threaded male end. I used a bunch of teflon tape and got it to work. The only problem, though is the compressor emits the air as pulses, and not a continuous stream. Also, on the one I had, the fittings were plastic - meaning no regulator option for you.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

I was using an old Campbell Hausfeld compressor with 3 gallon tank for roughly the last eight years... It died in the middle of my most recent project, at the moment I'm relying upon a can of propellant I happened to have sitting around...

I'm still trying to feel out my options for the next compressor. I was generally pretty happy with the CH - it was noisy, but only for the amount of time it took to fill the tank, and the tank meant no pulsation while I was working... But I had some paint adhesion problems I never did figure out, and sometimes I think the compressor may have been to blame.

I really have no idea what to get next. I could pick up something at Sears that would be similar to the CH, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go or if it'd be worth going to something specifically for airbrush painting...
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

tetsujin wrote:I was using an old Campbell Hausfeld compressor with 3 gallon tank for roughly the last eight years... It died in the middle of my most recent project, at the moment I'm relying upon a can of propellant I happened to have sitting around...

I'm still trying to feel out my options for the next compressor. I was generally pretty happy with the CH - it was noisy, but only for the amount of time it took to fill the tank, and the tank meant no pulsation while I was working... But I had some paint adhesion problems I never did figure out, and sometimes I think the compressor may have been to blame.

I really have no idea what to get next. I could pick up something at Sears that would be similar to the CH, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go or if it'd be worth going to something specifically for airbrush painting...
I can't say enough good thing about the Badger Cyclone II compressor. I use a six-foot hose, and the compressor is tankless. The hose, along with the regulator and three-port manifold and valves, eliminates pulsation through my Iwata and Badger brushes. Knock on wood, the thing has lasted for 15 years and still going strong. Also, a lot of guys swear by the IWata compressors too. They seem to last forever as well.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
jdeleonardis

Post by jdeleonardis »

Im a relatively new airbrush user, so Im certainly no vet, but Im one of the Iwata compressor people. I have the Silver Jet - the low end Iwata - and I think its great.

http://www.dixieart.com/Iwata_Silver_Je ... essor.html
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

Still pretty much entirely lost in this whole compressor decision... I have no real basis for deciding one airbrushing compressor is better than another, and to some extent I'm not entirely sure an airbrushing compressor is what I want (for the last several years I've sprayed with a small utility compressor - and I'm hopeful that a real AB compressor will offer some nice benefits, but I'm still not sold on the idea, I guess...)

Lately I've been looking at the Iwata Smart Jet and the Paasche D3000. The numerical specs for the two compressors are similar, but the Paasche comes with an air tank - and costs $50 less... Anybody got a Paasche compressor? Do it work good?

Kind of frustrating spinning my wheels on this decision. I suppose I should just pick something and move on with my life. Right now I'm limping along with a compressor I bought at Sears, which I really need to remember to return before the return period runs out - it's crazy-loud (like "any area of the house" loud) and it still has a nasty habit of spitting oil into the air supply...
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The two big benefits to a dedicated airbrush compressor are (or should be) quieter operation and a lack of pulsing.

and absolutely no chance of oil in the air.
Abolish Alliteration
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

Kylwell wrote:The two big benefits to a dedicated airbrush compressor are (or should be) quieter operation and a lack of pulsing.

and absolutely no chance of oil in the air.
Yeah, I kind of knew all that already.

As far as I know the old CH never gave me trouble with oil in the supply... It's just the Craftsman that's been horrible. And you don't get pulsation if the compressor doesn't need to run while you're spraying.

I do think an airbrush compressor is the right way to go at this point - I just have no idea what to buy.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
caisson2delta

Post by caisson2delta »

I hate to bump this thread, after so long, but I am in the market for a new compressor and have hit a dead end. I am looking for something very quiet, small, and portable. I live in a condo and plan on being here for several more years, so size and noise is an issue. I have been looking at several smaller compressors and have yet been able to find any reviews of them.

The two that seem the most tempting to me are one made by Kopykake and another from Salon Air. i was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or if they know of anyone that has used them. I know the Kopykake one used to be sold through MicroMark, some time back, so i wonder if it is acceptable for general model use. The Salon Air model is similar, but much cheaper, and includes a small tank built in. Rated for 23 L / per minute and wonder if this will suffice. Any input would be appreciated.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Talk to Tom Grossman (I know, I sound like a shill for TG).

Generally, the cheaper you go the noisier they'll be. Same with portability and reliability.
Abolish Alliteration
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

I have an Iwata Smart Jet. HIGHLY recommended...unless Iwata is putting one out with a tank!
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

================================
'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
esperman

Post by esperman »

Lord Darth Beavis wrote:I have an Iwata Smart Jet. HIGHLY recommended...unless Iwata is putting one out with a tank!
I'm seriously thinking about this compressor. Would it work with Paasche's VL brush?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

esperman wrote:
Lord Darth Beavis wrote:I have an Iwata Smart Jet. HIGHLY recommended...unless Iwata is putting one out with a tank!
I'm seriously thinking about this compressor. Would it work with Paasche's VL brush?
It should. Uses a standard 1/4 coarse fitting.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

There are adapters, too. The Iwata compressors are good, as are the higher-end Testors compressors. Not cheap, but quiet and reliable.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
pocketpencil

Post by pocketpencil »

How quiet are the IWATA compressors?

Could someone recommend me a nice quiet one as i live in an apartment. Maybe in the ~$200 range?
SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Post by SJM »

Water starts coming through your airbush when your painting, change the filter? Yes?
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
Blister

Post by Blister »

Water coming thru you airbrush means you need a water trap on your compressor. I have one on mine because I've been to some really humid places such as Korea and South Texas and if I hadn't had a water trap then I would have been shooting more water than paint.

I've been using my W.R. Brown Speedy for since 85. It's a good basic compressor but definitely not quiet. It needs replacing badly because it's losing pressure and sending pulses thru the line. It used to send a steam air steady but after 25 years it needs rebuilding or replacement. I'm thinking replacement with a quieter compressor with a tank. Haven't decided which yet, but I'll be replacing one of my older airbrushes at the same time. I have an old paasche single action that is almost as old as the compressor. My other two are double action but I'm thinking I'm gonna get a Iwata.
Last edited by Blister on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
pocketpencil

Post by pocketpencil »

Well, i ended up getting an Iwata and it is pretty quiet.
lvanb

Post by lvanb »

I'm thinking of getting a new setup for my airbrush. Need it to be quiet (doesn't everyone?), was thinking of two solutions:
1) Iwata Ninja. Has anyone used this? Any thoughts/comments? How quiet? (as loud as a tablesaw/shop compressor, as loud as a vaccuum, as loud as a room fan, or loud as a whisper? Will it wake sleeping family?) Also...how is the Ninja for painting larger projects (1/350 Enterprise size?)

2) 18, 40 or 55 cu ft cylinder of nitrogen (small tank) with regulator. I already have a an airbrush regulator with moisture trap, but am only using it on a shop compressor with the tank at ~110 PSI. A cylinder would be at 2015 PSI, so am not sure the air brush regulator could handle that...so was thinking of a first stage regulator off the cylinder to make the output pressure at around 50 PSI, with a quick connect to my airbrush regulator to get it down to the 10-20 range (whatever I need for that particular project). Advantages going this route...gas is dry and inert, and no compressor running so no noise. Disadvantage would be high start up cost (went to local gas dealer...~$100 for the cylinder, $100 for the regulator...but after that just the cost of refilling the tank...which should be years). Anyone ever use a cylinder setup? Comments? What gas did you use (nitrogen? CO2? other?)
"Well, since there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place I reckon. Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!"
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

We use CO2 @ the Make & Takes all the time. Cheaper than Nitrogen IIRC.

The Ninja is quite. No dead quiet but enough that my spray booth fan is louder.
Abolish Alliteration
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

I'm in the market for a compressor and am looking at the Paasche D3000R. A friend also recommended the Iwata Smart Jet. Both of these are very similar except the Paasche D3000R has a tank.

Does anyone have the Paasche D3000R? Is this a quiet compressor?
Captain Riker

Post by Captain Riker »

Crow-T: I came to this thread after looking at that same compressor. I'd love to hear about it as well. I have a 2Gal compressor in the Garage but it's as loud as hell and heavy. I would rather have one in the work area that was smaller and quieter.
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

I'm also looking at the Iwata Smart Jet and Power Jet Pro. I keep reading good things about the Iwata Compressors.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of these 2 compressors?
lzqqqq
Banned

Post by lzqqqq »

Moderator zapped Spambot links.
pocketpencil

Post by pocketpencil »

crowe-t wrote:I'm also looking at the Iwata Smart Jet and Power Jet Pro. I keep reading good things about the Iwata Compressors.

I have the Smart Jet and i love it. Its pretty quiet and easy to use.
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

pocketpencil wrote:
crowe-t wrote:I'm also looking at the Iwata Smart Jet and Power Jet Pro. I keep reading good things about the Iwata Compressors.

I have the Smart Jet and i love it. Its pretty quiet and easy to use.
I'm thinking the Power Jet Pro may be overkill for painting models. I'm considering either the Smart Jet or Smart Jet Pro.

I initially wanted a model with an air tank but have read many good things about the Iwata compressors. An Iwata without the tank seems like a great compressor.
tyhe314

Post by tyhe314 »

I have the TC 20T from tcpglobal.com and it works very well in psi range up to 40 or so psi. It is a tankless oil free compressor with 1/6 hp and the nice thing about it is that it does not sputter. I haven't had any problems with it using a Iwata Hp-cs airbrush or my master airbrushes. The only negative is that the compressor does not support most single action hoses (Paasche H single action hose does not fit) so you would have to buy a different hose or fitting.

About the heat and loudness:
How this compressor works is it will auto shutoff when it reaches its max (which can be adjusted with the water trap regulator that is included). When you use it, it will maintain a set psi (play with the regulator and do some test air sprays to determine where it evens out). Typically whatever you set it on the gauge is the maintained psi unless you go passed 30 psi then the set and maintained psi difference is more noticeable. The noise is not an issue for me, it is a soft hum and can easily be drowned out by other noise and you can talk over it. I never really notice a heat issue. Yes the compressor warms up but it stays warm even after a 30 minute session of on and off airbrushing. This is probably due to its auto shutoff when not in use.

Price:
I bought mine for $100 and it came with 3 master airbrushes
chiver

Post by chiver »

has anyone ever used a protable air tank? if so how well od they work and how long do that last? i know it depends on the amount of use, and depends on the size of the tank but i'm just looking for an average.

thanks in advance
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi chiver,

I've used portable air tanks for over a decade. Usually a 5 or 8 gallon tank filled to about 100 psi has enough air to paint a small or medium sized model and clean the airbrush spraying at about 12 to 15 psi.

If you buy a tank you'll probably want to pick up some quick disconnects and another water trap. Put the water trap between the compressor and the tank to keep water from accumulating in it.

Some modelers filled their tanks at gas stations back when they had free compressed air.

Mike
chiver

Post by chiver »

thanks wug, i would be filling it at my parents place. then taking it to mine so it wouldnt be conectied to a compressor other then to get filled. and i was thinking about this one but i cant find if it dials down enough. anyone use this one? or know anyhting about them?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... ?locale=en
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!