krylon primer on resin problems...........

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sstinson

krylon primer on resin problems...........

Post by sstinson »

i started priming some parts of a resin project i am working on and it seems the krylon primer doesnt go on smooth at all. (almost looks as though it has a texture or bubbles or something) i am having to sand it all off with some 220grit paper. is this an improper type of primer or is it potentially a bad can of paint? is there a better way to strip off the primer?

thanks
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

Are you refering to eggshell finish? This happens when you spray to far away from the model and paint dries before it hits the model. Fisheye - whe your surface is not cleaned of the release agent left from the molding process. Bad paint? It's possible. I use automotive primer from the parts store myself. You might try Tamiya primer. HTH :)
Brian
sstinson

Post by sstinson »

i cleaned the parts fairly well. although it still could be the release agent??
although i switched primers and the rest of the resin parts look smooth. who knows. i will just sand down the resin parts and spray with a diff. primer.
thanks for the reply!
Devin

Post by Devin »

Pick up some Wesley's Bleech White, it's a white wall tire cleaner. Use gloves! Spray it on, let set for a minute, then scrub off with an old tooth brush and rinse.

I build a lot of resin ships, and always had problems even with 'hot' primers peeling from time to time. Started washing with this stuff, and problems are gone. It strips every last bit of residue from the surfaces.

-Devin
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

Toss the Krylon in the trash and go buy yourself some Duplicolor primer or paint at the auto parts store. Duplicolor goes on and adheres much better to resin than Krylon.

Tamiya primer works well too but is hard to find. Both Duplicolor and Tamiya primers are Lacquer based.
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
joewhite

Post by joewhite »

I'm fairly new to resin. What is a good product that will strip paint and primer off of resin kits? I'd like to know for future references so the same doesn't happen to me when I build these resin kits that are sitting on my bench. Thanks!
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

joewhite wrote:I'm fairly new to resin. What is a good product that will strip paint and primer off of resin kits?
Simple paint thinner or mineral spirits on a rag, then use an old toothbrush for the corners.

Don't use anything hotter (lacquer thinner is a no-no) or else you risk damaging the resin.
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
unsc shipworks

Re: krylon primer on resin problems...........

Post by unsc shipworks »

sstinson wrote:i started priming some parts of a resin project i am working on and it seems the krylon primer doesnt go on smooth at all. (almost looks as though it has a texture or bubbles or something) i am having to sand it all off with some 220grit paper. is this an improper type of primer or is it potentially a bad can of paint? is there a better way to strip off the primer?

thanks
I hate it when that happens!... Sometimes the Kyrlon just doesn't work for me either, even after I've soaked and scrubbed my parts with Simple Green. In that case, I resort to "Mr. Resin Primer" (or is that "Mr. Resin Primer Surfacer"? I'm terrible with names) by Gunze Sangyo. It's more expensive,and harder to come by, so I don't use it on everything. But I can count on it to work when Krylon won't.