Darkening Azure Blue, some suggestions needed!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DarKev

Darkening Azure Blue, some suggestions needed!

Post by DarKev »

Hello Group

I real quick question for the "not" paint mixing challenged out there. I want to use Polly-Scale British Azure-Blue (F (I wish it was SG)) for a kit I'm about to build. The problem is that as it stands the "blue" is a tad lighter then I really want it to be. What should I add to it to make it just a shade darker, but still keep the overall look of the "Azure Blue"

Thanks for any Help Forthcoming!!!!

DarKev
Why would one buy a "NEW" Multi_Million Dollar Management Information System that can't do processes that the old system did correctly?? Answer - Someone in Upper Level Administration got a "GIFT" (Unknown Author)
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Try a few drops of midnight blue or even black. Add drops one or two a time, stir and test. Make sure you use the same brand (or at least type) of paint.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

By "type", he means enamels with enamels, acrylic with acrylic. Enamels and acrylics won't mix. Found that out the hard way when Acryl first hit the market.
DarKev

Post by DarKev »

Hey babaganoosh!

Thanks for the tip, but I've been there already way back when (major major MAJOR mistake :cry: ). I wish acrylics had the same color spread as enamels. There are enough colors that never made the jump to acrylics to make it a little frustrating for those like me who went to acrylics and never went back to enamels.

Oh back to the reason for the first post. I tried the mixing instructions and the result was not what I hoped. Oh the darkening worked but the match didn't. Its funny but late last night in a last gasp attempt I tried dumping a few drops of cobalt blue into the remains of a bottle of flat white and voila I got a better match then the azure blue. Now to go for the amount of paint I need for the Z-Gundam MG Rick Dias I'm doing and I should be all set. Its not exactly canon to the anime, but I love the colors of the box art. I'm trying to think of it as what I would want as a personal color if I was a "Mobile Suit Pilot"

DarKev
babaganoosh wrote:By "type", he means enamels with enamels, acrylic with acrylic. Enamels and acrylics won't mix. Found that out the hard way when Acryl first hit the market.
Why would one buy a "NEW" Multi_Million Dollar Management Information System that can't do processes that the old system did correctly?? Answer - Someone in Upper Level Administration got a "GIFT" (Unknown Author)