Mr. Surfacer 'Cobwebs'

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Jonas Calhoun

Mr. Surfacer 'Cobwebs'

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I sprayed some Mr. Surfacer 1200 the other day (through my airbrush), and at the edges of the model and over raised grill areas, cobwebs formed. It didn't have anything to do with dog hair in the air (I checked), but I'd never seen this before. They cleaned off very easily, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this? What can be done to prevent it? Does it happen with the other grades of Mr. Surfacer? (I've only sprayed 1000 and 1200).

Thanks,
Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
macfrank

Re: Mr. Surfacer 'Cobwebs'

Post by macfrank »

Jonas Calhoun wrote:I sprayed some Mr. Surfacer 1200 the other day (through my airbrush), and at the edges of the model and over raised grill areas, cobwebs formed. It didn't have anything to do with dog hair in the air (I checked), but I'd never seen this before. They cleaned off very easily, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this? What can be done to prevent it? Does it happen with the other grades of Mr. Surfacer? (I've only sprayed 1000 and 1200).

Thanks,
Dan
The first time I used Mr. Surfacer 1000, I sprayed it straight from the bottle... and ended up creating a big tangle of spiderwebs everywhere. The Mr. Surfacer was drying in mid air.

Thin the Mr. Surfacer to the usual "skim milk" consitency; that should fix the problem. If you're already thinning the stuff, thin it some more.

Frank
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Trippy. I was planning on posting a ' Can you airbrush Mr. Surfacer?'
topic-but this appears to answer one question. Now though, what do I
thin it with-alcohol, or someting else? ( I assume there's a 'Mr. Thinner'
out there...?)
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Jonas, I've seen your dogs, how can you truely be sure (or did you shave them?).
Abolish Alliteration
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Dr. Yo wrote:Trippy. I was planning on posting a ' Can you airbrush Mr. Surfacer?'
topic-but this appears to answer one question. Now though, what do I
thin it with-alcohol, or someting else? ( I assume there's a 'Mr. Thinner'
out there...?)
There's a "Mr. Thinner" no doubt, but I've thinned Mr. Surfacer with denatured alcohol (which also takes it off) and I get a nice, glossy, hard coating. A lacquer thinner would probably work as well (I haven't tried it, though).

You only want to thin Mr. Surfacer 1000 or 1200... you want 500 to be thick, so what would be the point in spraying it?

Frank
General_Grievous

Post by General_Grievous »

Besides thinning Mr. Surfacer, I'd recommend trying to lower the pressure a bit and /or closing the airbrush's tip to the model.

GG
Jonas Calhoun

Re: Mr. Surfacer 'Cobwebs'

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

macfrank wrote:The first time I used Mr. Surfacer 1000, I sprayed it straight from the bottle... and ended up creating a big tangle of spiderwebs everywhere. The Mr. Surfacer was drying in mid air.
That was the problem. I thought I could spray 1200 straight from the bottle without thinning. I was wrong. I thinned 1000 down, which is why I didn't have the problem there. 1200 is already pretty thin, but it needs just a bit more...maybe 10% thinner.

Oh, and I used Lacquer Thinner to thin it. Worked very well. I don't have any denatured alcohol, so I can't speak to how that works.

Thanks all!

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin