Making your own decals: How hard is it?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

justcrash

Making your own decals: How hard is it?

Post by justcrash »

I have a decent Dell printer at home, but I didn't know how hard it was and what all was involved. :)
woozle

Post by woozle »

I got a kit from my local hobby store and have made several decals in the last year, on my Cannon inkjet. My printer puts out really nice photographs, but the printing on my decals is a little 'grainy' which might be the decal paper itself. After spraying the decals and applying, they look fine, though you can tell the difference between 'home made' and 'professional'.

If your doing just lettering or simple shapes, it should look great. but pictures (nose art' for instance, you might not like the result, though I expect that experience makes a huge difference.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

Woozle wrote:I got a kit from my local hobby store and have made several decals in the last year, on my Cannon inkjet. My printer puts out really nice photographs, but the printing on my decals is a little 'grainy' which might be the decal paper itself. After spraying the decals and applying, they look fine, though you can tell the difference between 'home made' and 'professional'.

If your doing just lettering or simple shapes, it should look great. but pictures (nose art' for instance, you might not like the result, though I expect that experience makes a huge difference.
Hmmm.. interesting. Do you have a link to a decal kit?