Creating Azteck patterns

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

raist3001

Creating Azteck patterns

Post by raist3001 »

Could someone point me in the right direction in creating the (Polar Lights) Enterprise Refit Aztek patterns? I already have a scaled set for the saucer. How do I transfer the pattern to my frisket paper?

What are some of the best ways in doing so?
-TONY

"Second star to the right and straight on till morning."
- Captain James T. Kirk
TrekFX

Post by TrekFX »

There's a tough one.

Can't laser print. Probably can't inkjet print (even if it sticks, any ink residue could get carried into the paint if you're using acrylics.)

I did it the good ol' fashioned way

I printed the patterns on paper, layed the frisket over the paper, and just followed the lines. Peeled off the frisket, let it relax back to shape if it stretched, then went to town on the model.
Last edited by TrekFX on Wed May 04, 2005 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrekFX

Post by TrekFX »

Then again, you could laser print on compatible high-temp acetate, but then you need to be careful while spraying to keep it flush against the model somehow. This kit is big enough where you might be able to make it work without applying some kind of adhesive to the film.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Hold on tight!
ZING - we slide to the finishing forum.

I've heard some people have switched from Frisket to Glad Press-n-Seal.

As far as transferring - you can use an airbrush and paint it onto the fresh frisket, then cut out what you don't want. You can put your pattern under a piece of glass, and cut the frisket on top.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

TER-OR wrote:Hold on tight!
ZING - we slide to the finishing forum.

I've heard some people have switched from Frisket to Glad Press-n-Seal.

As far as transferring - you can use an airbrush and paint it onto the fresh frisket, then cut out what you don't want. You can put your pattern under a piece of glass, and cut the frisket on top.
Tell me more of this glad press and seal!
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You haven't seen the advertisments on TV? It's a plastic film with a pressure-sensitive adhesive. Be careful, it's stronger than you think it will be.

I'll use it for some masking, but more as a broad area coverage.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

I have some of this stuff. Haven't tried it for masking yet but it looks like it will work really well as long as you burnish it down pretty good.

http://tst.glad.com/pressnseal/about.html

I did try just masking an area of a model with it but not painting just to see how easy it is to work with. You will have to get it down onto the model's surface really well. Especially if you're going to be cutting intricate details into it ( like aztek patterns). But i think it's worth a try and definately beats the price of real frisket paper.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

I have yet to see real frisket paper in my LHS. :( Is there an online place that handles it? Is it the same as parafin paper?
AZRhino

Post by AZRhino »

If you have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby, check there. Try and find
something other than the Badger brand though. I'm sure it works fine, it
is just incredibly expensive. Or check an art supply store as well.
Something that carries airbrushing supplies.

Good Luck.
Mike
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

AZRhino wrote:If you have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby, check there. Try and find
something other than the Badger brand though. I'm sure it works fine, it
is just incredibly expensive. Or check an art supply store as well.
Something that carries airbrushing supplies.

Good Luck.
Mike
I asked the people at my michaels and they looked at me as if I had a third eye. :(

Which makes me sad because I DO have a third eye. :(
TrekFX

Post by TrekFX »

(dleted. Redundant. why doesn't this thing update threads properly???)
Morty Seinfeld

Post by Morty Seinfeld »

here's an option I've tested but not done completely on a finished model (worked well in the test).

get a pack of transparent film like your teacher used on over head projectors. you can get ink jet ready or photo copy ready. i used photo copy since it was like about $30 for a whole box at office max.

print your aztec pattern directly on the film or use a photo copier to transfer the image to the film

cut the aztec pattern (image) out from the film. then use a spray adhesive and LIGHTLY spray one side of it. don't over do it or it may never come off. they have cans of it in varing degrees of adhesivness (i picked up mine at michael's)

put your cut, sticky aztec on the model and spray with can or airbrush (i used an airbrush). the results weren't too bad, the edges were pretty clean. obviously the better you stick the aztec on there, the clean the edge.

since it was a subtle pattern, i've not tried it with a bolder pattern so i don't know if it would work. but with all things like this, try it on a scrap model.

the only problem i can think would be the more round edges of the model (like the warp engines and such) but it should work and the spary adhesive didn't leave any residue (which probably could be removed with a little alcohol.
"Cheap fabric, and dim lighting. That's how you move merchandise."