when done can u sand?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

chevyrumble

when done can u sand?

Post by chevyrumble »

im almost done painting my vinal model but i notice theres alot of waves, streeks, bumps, ect, in the paint. no i did not sand the model before i painted it, like i said its my first model i did not know. anyway is it possible i could wet sand it and and get everything nice and smooth without damageing my paint job? what do i do if i want to do this? do i wet sand? what sand paper do i use? and thanks alot for bareing with all my questions.
THANKS

jason
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

There is a 3M product made just for wetsanding. It's a black sandpaper and you'll find it at most hardware stores. There are also some nice convenient sanding pads out there, with a foam core which conforms to the model.

You will probably remove a good amount of paint. Don't worry, just repaint the area. It's a learning experience.

I don't work with vinyl much. Maybe some of the other guys can address how to prepare that surface. I'll PM Larry J. and ask him to provide his sagely advice.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Terry's advice is right on the money. Your going to have to trash that paint job to smooth out the under surface.
I haven't worked with a vinyl kit in a while but a simple wet sand with some of that 3M wet/dry/ sand paper always does the trick.

Big modeling rule:
Always prepare the surface before priming/painting.

It's your 'first kit' you said, so now you know how to avoid the same problems next time.
TB2

Post by TB2 »

Chevy, hope this doesn't discourage you too much. I'd consider a vinyl kit somewhat ambitious for a first model, but that's just my opinion. I think you'll find that these hurdles are great teachers and you'll quickly learn from them. There's a ton of talent on this site and by asking questions as you are I think you may find that the quality of your models will increase exponentially as you progress.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.