Need advice on type of spray paint equipment to purchase

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

hfrankinsf

Need advice on type of spray paint equipment to purchase

Post by hfrankinsf »

I thought before I go out and plunk down some $$ for a airbrush I was hoping to get some advice on what type of equipment to purchase. The space I am using is limited (small utility room) and I'll be using it to paint my Starships (overall and detailing).

Any advice, recommendations or suggestions???
Frank
macfrank

Re: Need advice on type of spray paint equipment to purchase

Post by macfrank »

hfrankinsf wrote:I thought before I go out and plunk down some $$ for a airbrush I was hoping to get some advice on what type of equipment to purchase. The space I am using is limited (small utility room) and I'll be using it to paint my Starships (overall and detailing).

Any advice, recommendations or suggestions???
Frank
If you live in an apartment, a compressor may be too noisy,especially if you plan on airbrushing late at night or early in the morning. A compressor will also require an airtank and water trap (if you're not using acrylic paints). There are a couple of very quiet compressor+airtank units meant for airbrushing, but they're expensive.

I've been using a 5lb CO2 tank for a few years now. It's not that expensive to refill ($15 or less) and the 5lb tank lasts for about 5-8 models. The CO2 tank is silent and the gas is dry, so no water trap needed. You'll need a regulator and fittings, which will add about $80 to the startup cost, but after that, it's just trading the tank in for a refill.

As for airbrushes, I use a Testor's Aztek, and have for many years. Some people hate this airbrush, but I've never had a problem with it.

Frank
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

A utility room? What's in the utility room? Washer, dryer, water heater? Might want to think twice if you have anything with a hot coil or flame in use...

BOOM!

Scottie
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
hfrankinsf

Post by hfrankinsf »

The utility room does have my washer/dyer & the unit's water heater.. hence my quesiton.... It's also an enclosed space (probably 3x7 ft)
Frank
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Hi, Frank.

The first thing you will need in your utility room is - VENTILATION! Some way to get the excess particulate matter and vapor OUT of the area. You do NOT want to be breathing vaporized solvents or particulate paint bits. Even if you have a full face respirator with organic solvent pre-filters you want the fumes and fogs OUT of there for your health and to preserve domestic tranquility.

Next - the CO2 tanks is a good idea for 'silent' spraying. If your locale can stand the drone of a compressor you might look at commerical home type air compressors. Why spend $200 on a 'hobby' compressor when you can get a 2 HP Campbell Hausfield compressor with a 3 gallon air tank on sale for sometimes half that? The compressor will run until the air tank is 'full' and then shuts off until it needs to refil that tank. And using air from that 'buffer' tank will help eliminate any 'pulsating' from a cheap compressor.

These units usually come with a pressure regulator, but you should also have a water filter in the air supply line near your airbrush.

Airbrush. I have a half dozen. I USE my Passhe H3. Simple, cheap, works for me.

Fo mo info this month's Fine Scaley Modeler has a 'how to airbrush' booklet in the baggie with the magazine.

Good luck!
Robert S

Post by Robert S »

The CH compressor w/tank is the way to go. The compressor is not to noisey and only runs about 5 min tops to fill the tank. I can get about 30 min or so of spraying before it kicks back on( if you shut th ecompressor off it won't. It has an auto start once the tank gets below 60psi or so). Should be abot a 100 at walmart.

For airbrushed I have used Badger, Testor Aztec and Iwata. Run as fast as you can from teh Testors piece of crap. I had one and set it back 3 times for repair after the 4th time I told them to keep it. I know others have had good luck with it but not me.

I guess the real question is do you want single or double action and do you want sypone or gravaty feed?

For a single action I would go with the Badger 200. This is a great brush and I had mine for years. I also have the gravaty feed version of this brush and it is going on 15 years. I don't use it much anymore but when I do it still works great.

For a double action I feel gravety feed is the only way to go. I use an Iwata Eclipse. I love this brush and would recomend it to anybody.

Hop ethis input helps. Good luck
Mal: Define "interesing"?
Wash: Oh god, Oh god, Were all going to die?
Robert

http://www.swartzer.com/writing/serenity2000.php
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I'm moving this to Finishing. Painting is finishing.

There's an airbrush survey here, worth reading through.

Personally, I recommend the Badger 360 as an all-purpose brush. For fine details you may want to buy something else later. That won't be a beginners move, so don't worry about it now.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati