Aaargh! Krylon Clear Flat (Matte) "Dandruff?"

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lt. Z0mBe

Aaargh! Krylon Clear Flat (Matte) "Dandruff?"

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Wise and Sagely Modelers,

I applied the first flat coat to a model last night using Krylon clear matte. I made sure I hit it with a tack cloth and the whole nine yards. After I was finished, it had what looked like dandruff flakes all over the model. No, it wasn't from me, lol.

I think it came from the Krylon, and the "flakes" seem to respond to gentle persuasion from a cotton swab. I know that model was absolutely spotless when I sprayed it, and I don't have dandruff - I went in the other room and checked. :)

Anyone else have this experience with Krylon or any other spraybombs?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Z0mBe
Last edited by Lt. Z0mBe on Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

No Idea where that came from- (scratch, scratching my head)
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

This happens occasionally with Testor's Dullcoat as well.

Essentially, matte clearcoats are simply a gloss clearcoat with a dulling agent (like talcum powder) mixed in. Various factors like temperature and humidity cause the powdered matting agent to clump on the surface, cause either white specks or a whitish "blush." The standard measures are to make sure the can is properly shaken (at least 1 minute of vigourous shaking), that the humidity is low, and that the temperature is warm - warming the can by placing it a bowl of water as hot as you can place your hand in also helps.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Owen E Oulton wrote:This happens occasionally with Testor's Dullcoat as well.

Essentially, matte clearcoats are simply a gloss clearcoat with a dulling agent (like talcum powder) mixed in. Various factors like temperature and humidity cause the powdered matting agent to clump on the surface, cause either white specks or a whitish "blush." The standard measures are to make sure the can is properly shaken (at least 1 minute of vigourous shaking), that the humidity is low, and that the temperature is warm - warming the can by placing it a bowl of water as hot as you can place your hand in also helps.
Thanks, Owen! Any thoughts on a fix for it, other than manually removing all of the flakes with an eraser or cotton swab?

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Nope. Once they're there, they're there. The olny solution is to physically remove 'em, either by the methods you mention, or by simply stripping the model and repainting.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...