Painting Question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

M.T.C.

Painting Question

Post by M.T.C. »

Hello I have done an old FXM 1/3900 scale model of the Future D enterprise and I used the Poly Scale paint on it and clear coated it with Krylon Crystal Clear,Well The model is made of perlescent resin and the model is very fragile.But anyway the paint is cracking under the clear coat and I do not know what to do,I am going to repaint it with the same color to touch up the cracking but does anyone have suggestions on how to coat the paint so it does not crack? What kind of gloss coat and brand should I use to avoid the paint cracking? Any help would be deeply appreciated.Thanks :D
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Make sure you completely remove all the paint. Strip it with Castrol Super Clean, then wash it with dish detergent. Reapply your color coats. The cracking will look like white-out on a printed page if you try to paint over them. Trust me. :)

I don't understand why you'd want a gloss coat for your Ent-D model, unless you're just using it as the step prior to applying decals. The Krylon may be too hot for the paint, causing it to crack. Also, I'm not familiar with FXM, but if it's a resin kit, it may also be a bad batch of resin that's outgassing through the color coat.

At any rate, to apply a gloss coat, shoot some Future floor polish (do NOT get an off-brand) through an airbrush. If you don't have access to an airbrush, use one of those sponge paint brush things to apply it. Apply it like mowing the grass. Make a pass. Move over to the next "swath" make another pass, move to the next swath. Repeat. If you miss an area. Wait 20 minutes and repeat the process. If you rush it, you'll mar the Future.

I hope this helps.

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I don't like using lacquer clear coats over acrylic paints. Use the Future, dilute it a bit with water and alcohol if you like, and a drop of dish soap in the bottle will help its surface tension. A couple of small coats is always better than one thick one with this stuff, too.

Chalk it up to experience and paint over.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
M.T.C.

Post by M.T.C. »

Well I got away with not having to strip it down,I painted over the clear and reglossed it with testors clear coat this time and it did not crack.Thanks for all who responded to help me. :D