What kind of Flat coat do you use?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Trekmanscott

What kind of Flat coat do you use?

Post by Trekmanscott »

I'm wondering what kind of flat coat people use. I have used Testors acrylic flat coat for years. I sometimes get questionable results with it. yellowing, not looking flat, etc. so I was wondering what other options are out there. Thanks.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" Leonard Nimoy
karim

Post by karim »

I like Polyscale flat clear. Clean, easy, thin with windex.

I've also had good results mixing it with Future to get "shades" of semi-gloss.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Tamiya flat base and Future.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

big-dog wrote:Tamiya flat base and Future.
I've used that. I'll only add that the Tamiya flat base really has to be mixed well in the Future, or the results will be disastrous.

I'm currently using the Acryl flat, either straight (it's dead flat when dry) or mixed with Future to get a matte finish.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I'm also using Flattened Future. But I always mix it fresh and discard the unused portion. I had a severely frosted finish once- not sure if it was a mixing issue or an old batch issue. (it was three months old)

I lean on Testors Acryl Flat if I'm in a rush.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I use Krylon clear matte finish, in the spraybomb can. Sometimes, I'll spray it into a paint cup for airbrushing.

I hope this helps.

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Testor's Model Master Flat Acrylic (and Semi-Gloss).

Actually have a bottle of gloss too. Accidently picked it up, thought it was semi-gloss.
Abolish Alliteration
Warped Speedster

Post by Warped Speedster »

Their spray stuff isn't bad either. Testors often gets a bad rap for their paints. But I think their clear flat coat and gloss coat lacquer (in spray cans) are some of the best products they make, and as good as any. But I've had terrible results airbrushing with their clear lacquers that come in bottles. For some reason (in my experience) they dry way too fast to properly coat (seal) the surface.

I haven't really tried their clear acrylics for airbrushing so I can't say anything about them. I have used them for brush coating dinosaurs and figures though with good results.

And I also think ZOmBe's idea of spraying clear coat from a can into a cup for airbrushing is a good idea. I've done that with pretty good luck with both clears and color paints.
Did I just see a Ford fly by?
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I use Testor's clear flat lacquer. It can be tinted with oil paint, a drop or two of white will add a "sun bleached" look to the finish. Definitely have to wear a mask when airbrushing with it though, it'll jack your lungs up pretty good.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Jagdson
Location: Hunched over my keyboard like a *pothoc* vulture, cursing my inability to properly budget my time.

Post by Jagdson »

I've been using plain old Testor's dull coat for years. It's nothing special but it worked well enough. Lately, though, I've been displeased with its results when applied to very small models and miniature ships. It seems to have a feathered surface now.
Science created airplanes and skyscrapers, but it took faith to bring them together.

Trust me. I'm a priest.
eeun

Post by eeun »

Microscale Micro Flat.

It's easy to thin with water or methyl hydrate for airbrushing, and mixes well with Future.

Testors Dullcote is my other favorite, but I've developed a nasty sensitivity to it (it involves evil little, itchy hives. When I was young and immortal I scoffed at those warnings about "well ventilated areas". Take ye heed, younger modellers!).
YT

Post by YT »

eeun wrote:Microscale Micro Flat.

It's easy to thin with water or methyl hydrate for airbrushing, and mixes well with Future.
Thats good to know, I've seen it around and always wondered...
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Then there's always the question of what kind of flak coat do you use.
Abolish Alliteration
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

So far the best flat finish I have found is Humbrols matt. I have successfully killed the highest gloss finish with it. The other advantage is no matter how many coats I put on, it remains dead flat.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
joewhite

Post by joewhite »

I'm a big fan of Model Master flat and semi-gloss. But I will only thin it with Windex. Works everytime!
P.W.Roice

Post by P.W.Roice »

I have always had good results with the Testors laquers (glosscoat and dullcoat) sprayed from a rattle can. It's great not to have to clean my airbrush when I'm done using them! Recently I have started using oil paint and mineral spirit washes so I swithched to polly scale acrylic flat and gloss. It also works well, but I miss the convenience of the rattle can in some cases. Does anyone know if you can successfully apply a mineral spirit wash over gloss coat laquer? If not can anyone recomend good set of gloss and flat acrylics that are available in rattle cans?
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Gunze Sangyo Clear flat.
I used to use Microscale and even the Testors stuff but the Gunze Sangyo tops them all.