Airbrush bubbling in paint cup

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

Airbrush bubbling in paint cup

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

Hey all,

I have a recently purchased Badger 360, running mostly Testors Acryl paint but also some enamels at about 20-25 psi. I will often see bubbling in the paint cup if I use it in gravity feed mode, or bubbling in the paint jar if using it in siphon mode. Is this normal?
What should I be doing to clean this airbrush after each use? I've been running Testors airbrush cleaner through it if using enamels, or water through it if using the Acryl, and in both instances I run them until clear comes out the airbrush. I also disassemble the front end and wipe down the needle with a paper towel and clean in general with a Q-tip dipped in the appropriate cleaner. Should I be doing more?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Chris
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

It kinda sounds like your tip is clogged. However, you didn't mention, do you have any problems with spatter, or paint not coming out? If you aren't having any problems with coverage, then I'd be tempted to wait it out. I'm not familiar with the Badger 360, I use a Badger 150. If the tip doesn't have a rubber grommet or seal, you're probably safe dropping the tip in a jar of lacquer thinner over night, then blowing it out. Q-tips are ok for cleaning, but sometimes they are too big to reach down into the narrow areas inside an airbrush tip. Also, they can sometimes leave tiny cotton fibers inside things, to gum them up. A pipe cleaner might work better.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I see this once in a while, usually it's something caught in the tip.

I always tear down the airbrush after use. I use acrylics, and use warm water and perhaps a bit of windex when cleaning.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
fructose

Post by fructose »

Yeah, after each use of my airbrush, I tear down the tip and nozzle and let them soak in thinner for a couple minutes and then clean them out to make sure I get most of the paint build out of it.

I've also had that problem with a cheapie Testors airbrush, and it turned out it was because I hadn't fully inserted the cup into the air brush. But I doubt that's the problem with yours.
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you are doing as long as you look good doing it.
b5ranger99

Post by b5ranger99 »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:snip Q-tips are ok for cleaning, but sometimes they are too big to reach down into the narrow areas inside an airbrush tip. Also, they can sometimes leave tiny cotton fibers inside things, to gum them up. A pipe cleaner might work better.
I have had problems with pipe cleaners leaving small fibers and the wire centers can scratch soft surfaces. A close visual examination is now the last step of my cleaning routine.

If air is bubbling into the paint cups something is blocking the prefered way out (the nozzle). Dis-assemble the brush as far as you feel comfortable and look closely for anything that shouldn't be there, eg fibers, dried paint etc. Clean as necessary, reassemble and, if it were me, try dropping the pressure to 10 to 15 lbs.

Good Luck.
"When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."
Dukhat, Babylon 5

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
Lewis Carroll
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I picked up a set of airbrush cleaning brushes from the local art store for about $8. They are like pipe cleaners, but they have smaller wires, and the brushes won't leave fibers.

I've had the bubbling a couple of times, it's always either been a clogged tip, or in the case of the siphon feed, the air hole on the paint jar being clogged.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

Sometimes it can be a bad o-ring or washer.
If you use solvent based paints, then the plastic parts can become brittle over time and cause air to leak backward from the mixing tip.
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

Hey guys,

Didn't get a chance before today, but just wanted to say thanks for all the tips. This weekend if I get a chance I'll tear it down and look for the clog. I think whoever it was that posted about the air finding the path of least resistance must be on to something....restriction in the air path forcing the air back out the cup seems logical. I'll scope it out when I can n see.

Thanks again,

Chris
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
AZRhino

Post by AZRhino »

I had a similar problem with my Iwata. Much like Vince's statement, I
had air leaking around the o-ring that seals the air cap to the body.
Once I tightened the air cap onto the body, I had no more problems with
air bubbling back into the cup.
AZRhino

Post by AZRhino »

I had a similar problem with my Iwata. Much like Vince's statement, I
had air leaking around the o-ring that seals the air cap to the body.
Once I tightened the air cap onto the body, I had no more problems with
air bubbling back into the cup.