Photo-etch advice

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

chang-kuao-lo

Photo-etch advice

Post by chang-kuao-lo »

I have just recently purchased a Hasegawa 1/72 super ostrich, as well as a super valkyrie, and the photo-etch sets for both. I am seeking advice on the use of PE sets (cutting, painting, applying, etc.), before I go and butcher these nice kits.

Good pictoral on the 1/72 super vakyrie: www.codyscoop.com/ht-valkyrie.html
quondo omni flunkus moritadi.
we're the highlights in your hairdo, the extra arms on Vishnu.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Typically I cut photoetch on a small bit of steel with a chisel-blade X-Acto knife. Cover the area with your hand so you don't get the pieces flying all over.
Or, you can put the photoetch on a post-it note for adhesive and the parts won't fly away.

Copper or brass you can cut with a sharp steel scissors. Steel photoetch might be tougher. You'll need to be careful not to bend the parts too much when cutting, which is why I use steel as a backing plate.

A small file will help de-burr the part if needed.

Tweezers are helpful for moving the part around, though I prefer another tool for most moving - a bit of blue tack adhesive on the end of a stick. Works like a charm.

Superglue to adhere the piece - a forked applicator helps put just a tiny amount of thin CA exactly where you need.

I found the Valkyrie photoetch pretty straightforward and the directions easy enough to follow.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati