can future clear a fogged clear part ?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

can future clear a fogged clear part ?

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

when i built my lunar models 2 foot jupiter 2 i had to use superglue to cement the resin fusion core to the bottom, the clear insert that goes in there got superglue on the edges and the clear panes fogged up in spots all the way around :? so what do i do to hide it ? i tried using dullcoat thinking that it would hide the fog spotting but the spots still show through. the part is now permanately attached and those spots really irritate me :evil: there is a light circuit inside so i can't paint the panes, so someone said future can unfog clear parts, but i can only apply it to the OUTSIDE of the clear panes plus i dullcoated on top of the fog spots, is there any possibility that future can help this or does it need to be applied to both sides of the part ? and what about the dullcoat ?thanks very much :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
woozle

Post by woozle »

sand the fog off, then future. It works a lot better on scratches then fog.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

i will only be able to sand the outside the inside is not accessable :? so the fogging may still show through, i should have been more careful i guess :shock:
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Bert, take a gander at ym reply to your other thread here:

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/ ... hp?t=24490

Also, got to Wal-Mart and get one of those $1.19 fingernail buffing sticks. Sand the canopy, wash it thoroughly, and follow the directions for the buffing stick. THEN dip it in Future. You'll be amazed. :)

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

thanks ! :D looks like no hope for the clear piece since its fogged on both sides, dullcoated and permanately in place :?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

bert aka model maker wrote:thanks ! :D looks like no hope for the clear piece since its fogged on both sides, dullcoated and permanately in place :?
Piffle. If it is superglued in place you should be able to pry the part off for access, and then fix the problem. Once you can get to it, sand it down to remove the fog and dullcote, polish it back to clarity with toothpaste, apply some future to clear it up more and protect it, then stick it back in place with epoxy. Superglue doen't have a lot of shear strength, so wiggle in an X-acto blade and twist. Hope this helps,
Andrew