Confused... (on the painting and detailing steps)

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kit

Confused... (on the painting and detailing steps)

Post by kit »

Hello guys! Im really confused on the painting and detailing steps. Please correct me if Im wrong.

1. Primer
2. Dark coat for pre-shading
3. Real color coat
4. Seal
5. Panel lining
6. Decals
7. Seal
8. Oil wash
9. Dry brushing
10. Seal

If you would be asking, Im working on a mecha kit. :?: :?: :?:
[][][]

Post by [][][] »

Well, I have a question about your order, step 8, an oil wash? What would that be for weathering, or is that what you would use as a wash to bring out panel line (which would make step 5 redundant). Well I would follow that order, except you may want to seal after step 5 (panel lining) depending on what you used for the wash (because the water or decal setting solution may wash away the paint in the panel lines). Other than that your list looks fine, but be wary thought, it may take more that two gradients of a color to sucessfully shade a kit (depending on the dark coat and contrast between it and the lighter coat). I assume you will use future as your sealant, right?
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
kit

Post by kit »

My intention for the oil wash is to bring out the panel lines. Ok so i dont need to do acrylic wash (5. panel lining). But how do I do the oil wash? Do I brush the entire piece of the kit with it?

Ok. I'll replace panel lines into oil wash then seal it before applying decals. I use Mr. Super Clear (flat) for the seal. Future Floor Wax is not available in my area. :(
[][][]

Post by [][][] »

All right, well that brings us to a number of things. From the looks of things Mr. Super Clear is a laquer, so it should be good for an oil wash. But first and formost, you will need to get Mr. Super Clear in gloss, because a flat finihs will not do for washes or decal application, the glossy clear coat helps move the ink into the panel line (and w/ a flat coat the ink will be absorbed into the paint) and decals on a flat paint will not apply properly and cause silvering. So what you need to do is to apply gloss clear for steps 1-9 and then use the flat for the final finish (if you want the final peice flat. As for an oil wash, well you gte black oil paint, thinned with miner spirits, and do what you would for an acrylic wash (thin down to the consistany of dirty water [mineral spirits] and brush onto the area of the panel line, wipe away excess w/ a paper towel w/ some mineral spirits). Since it is a laquer (i think) clear coat, the mineral spirits shouldnt damage it. Keep in mind that oils dry very slowly (a week or more to fully dry), but you can clearcoat em earlier probobally. Many say oils are easier to work with because they dry slowly and it gives you more time to meneuver. Hope this helped.
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
kit

Post by kit »

Oh gosh! I forgot about the silvering effect of decals on flat finish! Thanks a lot! I didnt know that flat finish can affect oil washes. I'll take your advice. Thanks again!

But wait, is it ok if I apply decals first then seal then oil wash?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Yes, apply your decals, seal them, then do the panel line washes etc.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
kit

Post by kit »

Thanks for the help! :D :D :D