How about this for a spray booth fan?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

How about this for a spray booth fan?

Post by starmanmm »

I was at Lowes today and noticed that for $100 they sold a dust collection unit that is essentially a squirrel cage with the motor on the outside. It has a cfm listing of 4700.

Now wood dust is very flammable thus, this should work as a fan for a spray booth which is what I am thinking? What also is a plus is that the adaptors for connecting the ductwork are already present on this system (4â€￾ pipe), so that is one less thing for me to build!

Now, the spray booth that I am building measures 2’x2’3’.

My questions are

1. For the spray boot that I am building, will 4700 cfm work for it?
2. Why would you not use this a venting motor for the spray booth?
b5ranger99

Post by b5ranger99 »

Well, my 2 ducats is, a booth 2' X 2" X 3" is 12 cu ft., with 4700 cfm fan, allowing for a 50% loss due to resistance, you would be getting 200 changes of air per minute.

My spray booth is 2' X 3' X 3" and I use a 500 CFM kitchen exhaust fan with a charcoal intake filter. Of course I rarely spray enamels usually acrylic. One tip, be sure there is a dust filter on the booth intake; otherwise you are pulling dust and whatever else is floating in the air into the wet paint. Before I bought the exhaust fan I checked to be sure it was a sealed motor - no sparks. I believe the filter blocks any particulates from the motor (and room air) and the charcoal REDUCES the fumes. So far the family is happy since they can't tell when I am spraying anymore, other then my prolonged absences from the floors of the house.
"When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."
Dukhat, Babylon 5

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
Lewis Carroll
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

The filter I was going to use was the type used for a furnance. So, is 200 air changes per minute good thing?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

starmanmm wrote:The filter I was going to use was the type used for a furnance. So, is 200 air changes per minute good thing?
yes.

Imaging the air being swapped out for new air every .3 seconds, or 3 time a second. That's a lot of air moving.
Abolish Alliteration