will future change the appearance of metallic silver ?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

will future change the appearance of metallic silver ?

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I tried using micro-mask to mask all 64 clear panes on the polar lights jupiter 2 fusion core piece and tried removing the dried mask after painting metallic silver and got small scratches in the clear windows. i spent a couple of hours cutting small pieces of masking tape and ressprayed the part. if i was to dip the entire part in future and not future the rest of the ship, would there be a noticable difference in the metallic silver of a future &non futured part ? I don't have an airbrush so applying future evenly on the jupiter 2 hulls may be difficult and not look even or may get runs :shock: the scratches are on the outside of the clear panes so maybe just applying small drops of future in each pane may work. :? I also want to dip the elevator cages that are cut to shape and is still a solid clear plastic part with the framing painted aluminum (testors) so that the clear parts of the cage will look much clearer and almost invisable the inside back of the cages are painted dark tan acrylic with an enamel black line down the center what effect will future have on this ? THANKS :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Future (or just about any coating) will make most metal finishes appear less metallic. I don't find it too objectionable, but some do. Paint a scrap piece of plastic with whatever metallic paint you used, let it dry, then cover it with Future.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

If you must apply large amounts of Future with a brush, try using one of those foam paintbrushes. Paint as though you were mopping the floor - one pass, then move to the next "swath" to paint, and on and on. When you're finished, let it dry and repeat.

This will prevent those annoying brush marks you can sometimes get in Future, and helps prevent pooling/running as it helps to keep the thickness of the coat uniform.

Make sense?

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

can i use future stait out of the bottle or does it need diluting for the brush on method ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

bert aka model maker wrote:can i use future stait out of the bottle or does it need diluting for the brush on method ?
Use it straight.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

to apply it to the entire ship (metallic silver) just brush it on with a "sponge type "brush undilluted ? do i make just 1 light pass or several ?i want it to go on smooth with no runs. can future be put in a clean spray bottle and misted on, or will that cause spotting ? :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

bert aka model maker wrote:to apply it to the entire ship (metallic silver) just brush it on with a "sponge type "brush undilluted ? do i make just 1 light pass or several ?i want it to go on smooth with no runs. can future be put in a clean spray bottle and misted on, or will that cause spotting ? :D
No. A spray bottle will cause big drops to squirt out along with the mist.

With the sponge brush, just touch it to the Future and let it soak some up. Keep the coats light; the sponge, just like a sponge mop, will do a lot of that work for you as far as keeping the coats light.

Drag it along lightly and complete a strip. Move to the next strip, and so on until all the strips are complete - think of mowing a lawn.

Wait thirty minutes and repeat the process.

If you see a run starting to happen, use a torn paper towel - just touch it to the drop, and let it soak it up.

I hope this helps.

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

thank you, it sure does the mowing the lawn describes it very well THANKS :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER