can i use clear flat laquer between coats of enamel ?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

can i use clear flat laquer between coats of enamel ?

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

Can clear flat laquer be used in between two different color coats of enamel ? How long must i wait before adding new topcoats of clear and enamels ?
THANKS ! :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
roguepink

Post by roguepink »

If you stick within the Testor's line of products, you will be fine.

I suggest you stick with the Laquer clear coat. The Enamel stuff is not nearly as good, and causes problems with overpainting it later.

Don't mess with other kinds of Laquer protectants. Krylon is far too hot (chemically) and many of the artists fixatives are not fine enough for detail model work.
www.halbierman.com - online portfolio.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

the 2 enamel paints are testors light tan and dark brown the dark brown going on top of the unmasked part og the lighter color. it's been about 15 hours since i sprayed my first color and am wondering if the clear laquer coat is needed ontop of the first coat before spraying the dark paint, whats a good time frame to wait before spray painting enamel over enamel ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
roguepink

Post by roguepink »

I lay down enamel over enamel in... oh... 5 minutes, depending on the absorbtion of the material. I work on a lot of foam, and it soaks up the enamels in no time.

I would wait 2 hours before putting masking tape over enamel. This ties in to your other post about the J-2. For flat enamel, 2 hours. For gloss, wait longer, maybe up to 6 hours. Drying time can be greatly accelerated by using some heat lamps or other drying means.
www.halbierman.com - online portfolio.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

thanks for the time table, i wanted to be sure not to ruin the first coat ! that is very helpful thank you ! :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER