Painting polyethylene?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sparkart

Painting polyethylene?

Post by sparkart »

I'm going through google pages looking for this answer, but thought I could try here, too:

Is there some miracle paint that will stick to polyethylene? Or is there some way to prep polyethylene so that paint will stick better, besides just roughing it up or running a naked flame over it?

Thanks, guys.
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

I don't think you can get any kind of paint to stick to it permanently.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

IIRC, even nail polish has issues sticking to polyethylene.

And having ran a quickie search thru the internet...No, there is no way, other than trying to bombard it with ions to make it reactive.
Abolish Alliteration
Del

Post by Del »

I'm a little slow. What are some of the products that are made with polyethylene?
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Many food containers are made with polyethylene and are thus not a good source of building materials. Unfortunately, many plastic figures are also made of the darned stuff, like the Airfix HO/OO figures and their (non-Multipose) 1/32 figures. A lot of toys are also made of polyethylene and thus are no good for diorama use.

This type of plastic is used because it does not break easily and will withstand rough handling. It can be identified by a high level of flexibility and a soapy/waxy feel to the surface.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Del

Post by Del »

Thanks Owen, I was afraid you were gonna say that. :x I've got some used chemlights I was wanting to use for 1/1000 nacelles (just for a different look), but I guess I need to test them with paint before I get too set on using them.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I think polyethylene is what they use to make glue bottles. For the very reason it's such a pain to paint. There is such a thing as etching primer, but I have no idea if it would work for this application.

Here's a thought, if you like the shape. Why not make a mold and cast the shape in resin. You can get little casting kits for beginners, I got one for 30 or so bucks, still have to play with it, but that could be an option.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Polyethelyne = tupperware

try that Krylon Fusion. Might work. Ethelyne plastic is designed for stuff NOT to stick to it.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

There are some paints (more precisely printing inks) that stick to polyethylene, 'cause we've all seen bottles made of it with "labels" printed on them. That may be a start, but I think a more effective approach would be to apply bare metal foilâ„¢ or similar. Adhesives DO stick to polyethylene. Once the foil has been applied, you'll be painting aluminum, which isn't as difficult as painting Polyethylene. I would get the "matte" foil, to get some "tooth". And hey, if you intended to paint whatever you're working on silver, it's done already! :)
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.