Question: Gradient without an airbrush

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

Question: Gradient without an airbrush

Post by Digger1 »

How can one do a decent gradient (two or more colors fading into one another) without using an airbrush?

I want to tutor myself on how to do this before the Refit Enterprise hits the shelves so I can paint the blue into light blue of the navigational deflector.

I'm thinking brown into light brown for the TMP version and then blues for the Ent-A. I seem to remember the TMP Enterprise's deflector being shades of brown at impulse speeds and then when it was at warp, it turned blue. I just think the brown might be a more novel way to paint it on that version.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Whew, now that's a question. Been a long time since I tried, back in college, but here's what I remember.

You'll need to work with a somewhat slow setting paint, which includes just about all hobby paints (don't use guache). Start with the lightest color as a base and slowly blend in the darker color. It takes some time and skill to get it right but it is possible. I'd suggest getting a sheet of glass to pratice on.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

What about blue pastels?

Just a thought I had.

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

If you really want to paint it, then I would use oils and blend the colors.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Shamrock_Don

Post by Shamrock_Don »

Just a random thought between swigs of beer..

How about painting the deflector a reletively dark color and then lightening the paint on each progressively smaller circle?

I bet a 16th of an inch between circle edges wouldnt be noticable from farther than 2 feet away...

:BURP: