need tips on removing some overspray dark on light color

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

need tips on removing some overspray dark on light color

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I just finished painting the polar lights jupiter 2 floor i masked off the center with a can and weighted it down and sprayed dark brown so that i have a dark brown floor and a light tan circle. as best i could i still got a slight dark overspray on the lighter colored center circle just around the edges. I want to remove this overspray and yet i don't want to mess up thelight circle or the edge of the brown. These are both testors enamel spray paint what is the best way to remove this slight overspray ? :?:
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Your best bet is very gentle wet-sanding with as fine a grit of sandpaper as you can get, checking often to make sure you haven't overdone it.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

i have some fine and ultra fine, it took at least an hour just to center my mask taking exact measurements from 8 different angles i don't want to have to redo that again :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Also, try GENTLY scrubbing the area with wet toothpaste and a paper towel, or new, soft bristled toothbrush.

I hope this helps.

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

what flavor ? :D :D i tried gently rubbing with a clean cloth and some came off, but left a kinda shiney area on the light tan, i will be applying dullcoat afterwards so maybe that would get rid of any shiney spots i create. i will try that it is so slight but dark on lite shows, my wife says she doesn't really see it but like i said, i will know it's there.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Try an eraser. I've found that if the paint isn't on there too heavy, you can just erase the overspray. Again, do it carefully, and the paint should be pretty dry to prevent smearing. I know for certain it works with acrylics, and it should for enamels. I use one of those natural erasers (the tan translucent kind), and not the harder pink ones. I got mine at an office supply big box store.

Kev
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

thanks kekker, you know i never thought of that :shock: i think it should work the overspray is just a light mist in spots so close to the edge you have to look close to see it. i think i can work on those spots without disturbing the other paint. i am going to try it. will a regular pencil eraser on the end of a pencil work ? or is yours a special kind ? :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Uh, yeah - very special type. I'll send you one for, mmmm Fift-, uh, one hundr- , I mean twelve thou..... ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Not, it's just the tan colored, natural rubber one. you can get them cheap at most office supply places (OfficeMax, Depot, etc), or any art supply place. ALso look around at school supplies in stores. I don't know if the pink stuff on the ends of pencils will stain or anything. To get up to a reasonably sharp edge, a regular piece of paper makes a good temp mask. Just hold it in place.

Kev
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

thanks kekker, when i was building my Invaders ufo, it calls for all flat white interior, floors, walls, then from there i painted all the details of the computer consoles and all of the details on the walls, and one thing i tried for the first time was a wash sort of, i used a mechanical pencil to highlight all the lines of the doors in the center corridors all the inner and outter doors there. the pencil followed the door lines nicely all the way around and they really add "effect" to the flat white walls. :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER