Basics. Colors. Types of paint

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Just break down and head for the art store. In particular look for Daler-Rowney pearlescent acrylic inks.
Abolish Alliteration
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

yeah... been there. They didn't have the brand you mentioned, but I did find a very nice pearl white fluid paint by the Golden company. No review, still working with it. It would definately have to be air brushed, which I don't have....yet. that's my excuse to get one? Says to thin with water..hmmm but it's an excellent pearl so I'll let you know how that turns out.

in the mean time, if anyone read those, I've saved them the trouble of at least two brands..... my life is complete if I've helped my fellow man
Young at heart! {Other parts slightly older}

my model page http://gerry1of1.wordpress.com/
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The RC body one does look stunning inside a polycarb body. Beautiful but, as you said, looks like crap from the other side.
Abolish Alliteration
Captain Riker

Post by Captain Riker »

I've been having issues brushing Tayima over Tayima. I paintged my model in a matte white using a Tayima spray can and it looked great. I did most of my secondary colors as either another spray can (with lots of masking) or using Model Master.

Now I have to touch up the original white and the Tayima white in a small bottle just doesn't cover. I mix it well (I think) but it seems to just run off or cover unevenly leaving a very un-even surface.

I tried to use Model Master over it but no luck. I've taken to stripping the offending area and masking the hell out of it and spraying it but I can't do that everywhere.

Any suggestions?
ExarKun77

Post by ExarKun77 »

Quick question on this type of paint job:
http://www.hobby-show.info/tokyo2010/0088.html

(For practical reasons, i work with tamiya acrylics at the moment)
Could i reproduce this kind of effect by having a flat aluminum (or any metal color) and then a clear blue over it?
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I think that there is a pearlscent color blue out there already?

I believe that I have seen this color in shows.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
ExarKun77

Post by ExarKun77 »

Yep, i heard some companies sell this kind of color, like tamiya or vallejo.

I just wanted to know if i could do it 2 steps, and apprently yes, but there are pros and cons:
- you have more control on the colored layer (blue in this case), as it will darken with more layers.
- but it will be harder to get it even.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

ExarKun77 wrote:Yep, i heard some companies sell this kind of color, like tamiya or vallejo.

I just wanted to know if i could do it 2 steps, and apprently yes, but there are pros and cons:
- you have more control on the colored layer (blue in this case), as it will darken with more layers.
- but it will be harder to get it even.
You might get a similar effect or you could try one of Testors metallic blue acrylics. Th most difficult part of what you propose is getting an even coat of clear. The thicker the clear coat the darker the color.
Abolish Alliteration
ExarKun77

Post by ExarKun77 »

Got it. Just wanted to know if it was achievable this way.
But i guess finding the right paint will be a lot easier.

Thanks.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The red on this: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/contest/ ... kit_09.htm is Tamiya clear red over Alclad II Polished Aluminum.
Abolish Alliteration
ExarKun77

Post by ExarKun77 »

That's pretty neat, i see.
The question is for a model i didn't even start, so i won't rush, but i may need this type of paint job on a "metallic" starship:
I mean the paint job will basicaly only be different metallic colors, and i think some of the panels have a clear color on top.

I'll see what i can find at the local store.
thanks again ;)
willo

Post by willo »

Re thinning enamel paints:
I'll be brushing by hand but I've been out of the hobby for years & some of my paints need thinning. I saw where somebody recommended "white spirits" but I think that's a British name as I don't recall it here in the U.S.

What I have are mostly Testor's enamels and with the cost of proprietary thinner and the distance to the hobby shop I'd rather go to the local hardware store. I'm wondering what might be best to use for thinning these paints.
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

White spirits would be most likely called mineral spirits in your local hardware store. Mineral spirits are very commonly used by the enamel guys.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or "Paint Thinner", a common name for mineral spirits.Back when I was using Testors enamels it's what I used.
Abolish Alliteration
willo

Post by willo »

I was talking to a friend yesterday who has some experience with adhesives and solvents and he said that paint thinner is mostly or all Toluene, which should work fine, as suggested. Thanks, BTW.

He also said that "MEK" (Methyl ethyl ketone) works too, but that it's more harmful to people.

I'm pretty sure it was toluene that I used for making liquid styrene. Years ago I was working on a diorama where I had to turn a male figurine into a woman, and I wasn't completely satisfied with the results. The liquid styrene worked fine, though.

Slightly off topic, but I got the idea from a book on diaoramas where the author used liquid styrene and tissue paper to clothe his figures. That idea worked very well for me.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Commercially, paint thinner is mineral spirits. Toluene & MEK can both be used to glue styrene and can be used to thin some paints.
Abolish Alliteration
willo

Post by willo »

So, I'm still wondering what mineral spirits are made from. Snake oil was originally made from snakes, fish oil is made from fish. I'm suspicious about baby oil, especially after reading a story titled "Oil of Dog". :wink:
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It is a mixture of saturated aliphatic and alicyclic C7 to C12 hydrocarbons with a maximum content of 25% of C7 to C12 alkyl aromatic hydrocarbons.
Abolish Alliteration
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Kylwell wrote:It is a mixture of saturated aliphatic and alicyclic C7 to C12 hydrocarbons with a maximum content of 25% of C7 to C12 alkyl aromatic hydrocarbons.
[ROBBie voice]Will eighty gallons be sufficient?[/ROBBie voice]
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
willo

Post by willo »

Ah, that explains the euphemism.
Considering the diversity of minerals I figured it could be anything.
I do wonder about the relation of coal to kerosene, as in "coal oil".
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Do you really want to know?...
Abolish Alliteration
anthsco

Post by anthsco »

I am trying to put together various colors for a Photoshop project as it relates to Federation starship colors, specifically the Excelsior, Enterprise refit and A and the Miranda. The only color reference I have found is this one for the Ent D as she was intended to be painted:

http://probertdesigns.com/Folder_DESIGN ... rior2.html

Are there such references for the Enterprise refit and Enterprise A as well as the Miranda and Excelsior?
lzqqqq
Banned

Post by lzqqqq »

Moderator zapped Spambot links.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

lzqqqq wrote:Moderator zapped Spambot links. Don't quote the Spambot!
Young at heart! {Other parts slightly older}

my model page http://gerry1of1.wordpress.com/
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

I've read that lacquer can go over acrylic paint.

Can acrylic paint(specifically Polly Scale acrylic) be painted over lacquer or rather synthetic lacquer(i.e. Gunze synthetic lacquer)?

BTW, I'll be hand painting this. I'm not sure when hand painting straight from a bottle, if the paints react differently then spraying thinned paint.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Generally speaking, yes you can slather acrylic over modern lacquers. Heck even non-modern lacquers. It gets tricky if you use a lacquer based thinner like you can with Tamiya and Gunze but other than that...
Abolish Alliteration
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

Thanks for the quick reply. I won't be thinning the lacquer. I need it to be thick so that's not a problem.
chiver

Post by chiver »

i use model masters enamel paints, I just got a newe air brush and compressor, the hobby shop where i live is way way too expencive. and i was going ot look into buy some thinner from wallmart or home depot. any one have any advice which i should get? maby a brand name if theres any fellow canadians on here?
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
Mr sinister

Post by Mr sinister »

I'm going to be airbrushing MM enamel as a base coat for my falcon, just a couple of questions: does the MM enamel need thinning before airbrushing? and once I've sprayed it and it's dried can i then wash it with thinners and oil paint to weather or will this ruin the enamel?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

chiver wrote:i use model masters enamel paints, I just got a newe air brush and compressor, the hobby shop where i live is way way too expencive. and i was going ot look into buy some thinner from wallmart or home depot. any one have any advice which i should get? maby a brand name if theres any fellow canadians on here?
Yes, it's called "paint thinner" or "mineral spirits" and should be available in most hardware stores

Mr sinister wrote:I'm going to be airbrushing MM enamel as a base coat for my falcon, just a couple of questions: does the MM enamel need thinning before airbrushing? and once I've sprayed it and it's dried can i then wash it with thinners and oil paint to weather or will this ruin the enamel?
Lets think about this. You dissolve/thin the MM paint with paint thinner so what do you think will happen when you put more paint thinner on top of it? This will happen with any petroleum distillate like turpenoid. Plan on either an acrylic wash or and acrylic clear coat if you want to use an oil wash.

And yes, you'll need to thin the MM enamels before airbrushing or massively up your pressure (and be prepared for spider webbing).
Abolish Alliteration