Future floor polish

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

dsl40083

mail order?

Post by dsl40083 »

Is there any of you that knows of any retailers that has a webstore and will ship Future overseas?

I have found out that similar products are sold in sweden (30 min. by train for me) but with swedish names.
Danish and swedish are very similiar but sometimes ite goes horrible wrong when we try to buy stuff in the shops.
Could someone post the main ingredients so I can compare with the swedish types?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Here's the MSDS.

Main ingredient is acrylic.
Abolish Alliteration
dsl40083

Post by dsl40083 »

Thanks a lot.

That was very very cool (and helpful)
Julius Orange

Post by Julius Orange »

Has anyone tried the Simple Green Trick suggested on Swanny's page?

Cheers.
Lichtbringer

Post by Lichtbringer »

I just want to sent a friend in the US to a shop and buy some bottles of future, which he should send to me - but he is neither housekeeper nor modeller. :wink:

So i try to explain him whats "Future" or "Pledge, with Future shine", and for a better explanation i wanted to mail him the correct pics. But i don´t find any good pics from this Pledge, only other products with that name, and a blue bottle.

But masses of "Future" pics - in actual webshops. It is possible that they have changed again the name, back to the original "Future"?

Which bottles are stored in your local shops?

Thanks in advance. :)
Have a nice day.

Bye,
Michael

I´m just a simple man, trying to glue my way in the universe.
http://s527.photobucket.com/home/Lichtbote/allalbums
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

Pledge One-Go in Australia is NOT a rebranded Future equivalent. I know it's listed as such on Swanny's website, and a few other places of information, but I've tried Pledge One-Go extensively. Firstly, unlike Future, it has a pale brown/yellow colour to it. I does self-level but is extremely 'thin' and almost useless for applying a 'gloss coat' as it pools off very quickly. It does have a small effect on clear canopies, and I will continue to use it for such, but its certainly NOT the same product available in the USA. If anyone knows of a closer Australian equivalent, I would love to know!
Hope this helps any frustrated Australian modelers.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Lichtbringer wrote:I just want to sent a friend in the US to a shop and buy some bottles of future, which he should send to me - but he is neither housekeeper nor modeller. :wink:

So i try to explain him whats "Future" or "Pledge, with Future shine", and for a better explanation i wanted to mail him the correct pics. But i don´t find any good pics from this Pledge, only other products with that name, and a blue bottle.

But masses of "Future" pics - in actual webshops. It is possible that they have changed again the name, back to the original "Future"?

Which bottles are stored in your local shops?

Thanks in advance. :)
Lichtbringer - Future is sold in the UK as "Klear" - you won't have the border restrictions from the UK that you might get importing from the US.

However, I believe that it is also available in the Netherlands as "Pledge Vloer Plus" but I may be wrong. I don't know for sure, but what is sold as "Pronto Auffrischung & Schutz" in Germany may the same. I have also heard of "Erdmal Glanz" which is apparently almost the same formulation.

If you can't get Pronto/Glanz from Germany or Pledge from the Netherlands PM me and we might arrange something.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Lichtbringer

Post by Lichtbringer »

seam-filler wrote:
Lichtbringer - Future is sold in the UK as "Klear" - you won't have the border restrictions from the UK that you might get importing from the US.

However, I believe that it is also available in the Netherlands as "Pledge Vloer Plus" but I may be wrong. I don't know for sure, but what is sold as "Pronto Auffrischung & Schutz" in Germany may the same. I have also heard of "Erdmal Glanz" which is apparently almost the same formulation.

If you can't get Pronto/Glanz from Germany or Pledge from the Netherlands PM me and we might arrange something.
Hi S-F,

thanks for your offer. :)

I have already that "Erdal Glänzer", it´s definatly another stuff - it´s a "milky" fluid. It dry´s also clear, but not the same "wet shine" as dried up future. But nevertheless, i use it more than the sample of future i got from a friend. I dip the 1/72 figures/container/equipment of my dio in it, then blow the fluid away with pure air from my airbrush (from top to bottom). That gives a slighly semigloss (VERY LIGHT) with a light irregular surface pattern. Remember, i talk of 1/72 - nothing hard, it only brings a first used touch, on which i build up my weathering.

2 mls. from here is the netherlands border, but didn´t found it in stores here/there.

I´ve sent my friend pics of the original stuff i need, and so i´m gonna get some "SoCal future" in a few weeks. :wink:

But i really appreciate your offer to help. Thanks again.
Have a nice day.

Bye,
Michael

Marco Scheloske

Post by Marco Scheloske »

@Lichtbringer,

"Future" can be purchased from the german online shop "Rai-Ro". If they haven`t it listed in their online catalogue send them a mail, usually they have it nevertheless.

I purchased a bottle on the "Inspiraton Modellbau" 2007, it was 11,- Euro - expensive, but it will last forever. Wonderful stuff, absolutely NOT comparable to Erdal Glänzer (I don`t know who wrote first that it is the same, but if it never was the formula of Erdal must have been changed drastically meanwhile).
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco
Lichtbringer

Post by Lichtbringer »

Marco Scheloske wrote:@Lichtbringer,

"Future" can be purchased from the german online shop "Rai-Ro". If they haven`t it listed in their online catalogue send them a mail, usually they have it nevertheless.

I purchased a bottle on the "Inspiraton Modellbau" 2007, it was 11,- Euro - expensive, but it will last forever. Wonderful stuff, absolutely NOT comparable to Erdal Glänzer (I don`t know who wrote first that it is the same, but if it never was the formula of Erdal must have been changed drastically meanwhile).
Hi Marco,

i know that. But they call ridicoulous prices for that stuff. Over 17$ for a small bottle.

They jump over the street and can buy it in a shop for US-troops. Then they double/triple that and sell it to modellers who don´t know how to get that stuff.

I have a 1/2 jar (honey or marmelade) of it, a friend gave it to me. So i can wait without any problems until my parcel from the states arrives. :wink:

These 2-4 bottles will last for long. And even if the payed price would be the same as with Rai-Ro - i don´t support such shops.
Have a nice day.

Bye,
Michael

Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

Probably already covered, but I came up with a neat use for Future:

I wasn't happy with how clean one of my builds was, so I added some black and some sepia India ink to a little Future, mixed well, and PRESTO! Instant, toned-down paint! I did, however, go a little overboard, so I'm going to have to explain how a Marine Corsair got that dirty...

Hey, it's a what-if build! :D
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Welcome to the Ink glaze world! One of my favorite tricks.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/set ... 176270104/

You can see lots of it here
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

Yep! That little technique got me into a bit of a fix on another build. Guess it'll get a dunk into the windex shortly...

Figures it would happen AFTER I decalled it... :gripe:
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
starmanmm

FUTURE AND PASTELS

Post by starmanmm »

Can Pastels be applied directly on Future that has dried for a few day?

My understanding is that pastels should only be applied on a kit that has been dull coated, but I read somewhere that you can apply pastels on dried Future.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Been applying Future with a soft sable 3/4" brush since 1982. Use the brush for Future only and keep clean with hot soapy water. I apply from side to side keeping a wet edge. If you miss a spot wait until dry before touch up. Great stuff. IF you use it of Tamiya make sure the paint is gassed out 100%....for me thats about 2 months!
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Ok... but I don't think this does answers my question of can pastels be put on Future?
Dukat, S.G.

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

starmanmm wrote:Ok... but I don't think this does answers my question of can pastels be put on Future?
They can be, but a flat coat on top of the Future would really help the pastels stick better in my experience.
"Cardassians do like to talk. I suppose
it can be a failing, at times."-- Dukat

(My real name's Sean Robertson. Don't let the scales and alter-ego fool you ;D.)
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

How does future effect cleear parts? I am working on a 1/1000 NX-01 and have decided to try future as a clear coaat. Do I need to mask the clear parts like you do if using a dull coat?
Marco Scheloske

Post by Marco Scheloske »

Callandor wrote:How does future effect cleear parts? I am working on a 1/1000 NX-01 and have decided to try future as a clear coaat. Do I need to mask the clear parts like you do if using a dull coat?
Future is mostly used to make clear parts more clear - so it is the perfect coat for them. Masking clear parts before applying future would be like... like... I have no words. It would simply be soooo wrong.
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco
Butters

Post by Butters »

Two questions.... if I airbrush future, what do I use to clean it all out of my airbrush? Second, after I apply the Future, what can I use as a dull-coat?

I know that, for instance, Testors Dullcoat cannot be applied over acrylic paint. But after I've applied my future it will require something to flat out the gloss. Can Dullcoat be applied after the future is dry?
There is a solution to every problem. Sometimes it's just C4.

Fine. I got an Avatar. Happy?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Same thing you use to clean your A/B after spraying acrylic paints. I use Testors acrylic matte coat to flatten out Future.
Abolish Alliteration
Butters

Post by Butters »

Kylwell wrote:Same thing you use to clean your A/B after spraying acrylic paints. I use Testors acrylic matte coat to flatten out Future.
I use Tamiya thinner and Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the AB.

Is that Testors acrylic matte coat from a can or do you AB it?

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I airbrush it. Cheaper that way.
Abolish Alliteration
Butters

Post by Butters »

Is Isopropyl safe for rinsing/cleaning my AB? I'm slightly worried that the Iso will dryout/damage my Iwatas seals.

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Butters wrote:Is Isopropyl safe for rinsing/cleaning my AB? I'm slightly worried that the Iso will dryout/damage my Iwatas seals.
It'll be fine. If it can handle lacquer thinner, alcohol is nothing.

And yes, the Iwata's will handle lacquer thinner w/o an issue. I spray a bit of EXAir cleaner through my a/b to displace anything left and lube things a bit.
Abolish Alliteration
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I clean my AB, after spraying Future, with Ammonia. Then I spray windshiedl washer fluid to wash out any residue.

Been doing that for years without any issues.
Butters

Post by Butters »

Hmmmm, what ammonia product do you use? And what chemical does the windshield washer fluid provide?

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Butters wrote:Hmmmm, what ammonia product do you use? And what chemical does the windshield washer fluid provide?
Windex has ammonia in it and will work great or you can use straight ammonia from the cleaning aisle. Don't just soak the airbrush in it, as ammonia pits brass and it will damage the airbrush nozzle (and any other brass parts) if left soaking. You'll end up with an irregular opening at the nozzle aperture.

As for the windshield wiper fluid, it is methyl alcohol. It's a great solvent that gets into the nooks and crannies and flushes the airbrush of acrylic media. The washer fluid also contains about 25-percent water. Test it with some Future before using it in the airbrush, though, as some windshield cleaners contain an additional type of alcohol and a hose conditioner that, when mixed with Future, will make the Future's latex instantly crosslink into long strings of mucousy latex. It is, after all, clear latex paint

You can get the same benefit of using separate windshield cleaner and then ammonia by just using Windex, as it is alcohol (isopropyl and/or methyl), water, surfactants and ammonia.

If you really, really want to safely clean your airbrush, shoot Super Clean through it. Super Clean will kill pertroleum and acrylic media residue. It is the nectar of the airbrush cleaning gods. Your airbrush will be so clean, it will squeak. Add a little lube and you're good to go afterwards. The best part is you can get a gallon at a time for under five dollars at Wal-Mart. The stuff doesn't pit brass either and it will not harm teflon seals.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

We use windshield washer fluid to clean brushes @ the Make & Takes. Works great and is dirt cheap.
Abolish Alliteration
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Just a bottle of ammonia that you buy in the grocery store is all I use. Cleans out the AB and then I use the windshield washer fluid as a final rinse to clean out any remaining ammonia from the AB.