Reco needed: single action gravity feed Brush?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

dreadpyrat

Reco needed: single action gravity feed Brush?

Post by dreadpyrat »

Hi all, I'm getting an airbrush setup and will get a Badger 250 for covering large areas (I'm working on a 4 foot model) but also want something for finer detail. The features I'm looking for are:

1. single action
2. gravity feed
3. easy cleanup

Any recommendations on a model? Thanks!
seam-filler

Re: Reco needed: single action gravity feed Brush?

Post by seam-filler »

To get detail spraying with a single action brush, you really need internal mix, which means that cleanup isn't quite as easy as with an external mix spay gun like the Badger 250. Having said that, the Bagder 200 series (http://www.badgerairbrush.com/BADGER_200.asp) are very easy to strip down and clean - It only takes a few minutes.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
dreadpyrat

Post by dreadpyrat »

Thank you for the feedback! I wanted a Single Action as everything I've read about Duals is that they take a lot of practice. As this is my first time with an airbrush, I dont want to mess up the job over an over by starting with something too complicated.

Is is possible to "lock" the Dual action is place so it acts as a single - until I get comfortable? Or can you recommend a Dual that is easier to learn on and is easy to clean? Thank you!
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I have one of these. I've owned over a dozen airbrushes in the past 30 years. This is the best, most comfortable, and easy to control brush I have used.

I highly recommend it.

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/iwa ... /neo-trn1/

I suggest buying it here. Amazing service and prices.
http://www.tagteamhobbies.com/hobbyshop/airbrushes.html
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
dreadpyrat

Post by dreadpyrat »

Thanks very much Blappy! You dont mind the pistol trigger versus a more traditional top trigger? Id thought users would prefer the ability to "point" at their work with the index finger when doing more fine detail work....
Vetter

Post by Vetter »

Realistically dual action airbrushes are more often used like a single action. It's not that one is so much better than the other, but you can get more out of a dual action when modulating air and paint. And yes there are airbrushes than can lock the triggers but that's more for consistency than a mode selection.

I didn't find it "hard" to use an airbrush, although having someone around that knows how to use one can help. The few people I've shown how to airbrush always didn't thin the paint enough. which was exactly my problem as well when I started.
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

Never heard of a single action gravity fed gun.

Somebody might make one.
Vetter

Post by Vetter »

gsb5w wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:29 pm Somebody might make one.
Uhm ... Grex, Badger, Iwata, Paasche. Lots and lots of knockoffs.
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

My bad. I was too lazy to go to Google before I posted.

Apparently its a thing.

I've been in this hobby since I was a preteen and never heard of a single action gravity fed airbrush.

I stand corrected.
SGCSG1

Post by SGCSG1 »

Iwata M1. Most convenient, reliable, easy to use and clean airbrush I've used to date.

Single action - but you can adjust the airflow with the thumb of the hand you're holding it in.