Gravity or siphon feed airbrush best?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Richard Baker

Gravity or siphon feed airbrush best?

Post by Richard Baker »

I am going to get an airbrush to help celebrate my sixtieth birthday soon. I will be using it mostly for custom color spraying, don't have deep pockets so something simple and reliable with double action..

I see advantages to either gravity or siphon feeds, what are your opinions?
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Rogviler

Re: Gravity or siphon feed airbrush best?

Post by Rogviler »

I never ever got a siphon feed airbrush to work ever. They seem pretty finicky to set up, although I'm sure they make fancy ones that work great. I wouldn't even consider it as an option and can't think of a good reason to pick one. I'm sure someone somewhere has one, which you'll hear shortly... :roll:

-Rog
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

I have a TESTORS aztek single action airbrush which I bought 7 years ago and it came with siphon and gravity paint cups. This particular airbrush also comes with dual action.
Normal?? What is normal??
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I've had a Badger IL-150 (double action) for years. It's bottom fed, so you can use either a cup or syphon. Although the syphon works OK it seems that getting the paint thinning absolutely right is much more critical.

However, the main reason I don't bother with the syphon is that it adds weight to the brush and my hand cramps up long before I've emptied the jar!
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

I've been using an Iwata siphon fed airbrush for years now with no problems even at low pressure.

I've always wanted to pick up a gravity fed one for the ease of switching out colors and perhaps tighter lines when I'm painting gaming minis.
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Thanks for the advice!
I had to get it ordered last night so the winner is:
Paasche VL-3W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BR0OXU/_e ... MKNS&psc=0

I went for a name brand for parts/service and this unit supports both gravity and siphon feeds. The Testors looked good, but the plastic nozzles and cost held me back. I have a great compressor at the house for running air tools which can be also used for airbrushing (one reason I bought it) so in a couple of weeks I will be exploring this new capability
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Tracy White

Post by Tracy White »

Gravity feed all the way for me. Hope the Paasche serves you well!
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I'm a gravity feed convert. You can mix a tiny amount of paint to spray very small areas without wasting a lot of paint. It's great for Alclad for the same reason.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere