Polishing cream

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

scratchy

Polishing cream

Post by scratchy »

Hi Guys, can anyone recommend a polishing cream for clear plastic.

I know that Future is used for the final application, but I have a little more work to do before I get there. I did a search in the forums and this was all I can find....

---------------------------------------------------------------

by 12Rogues
Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:56 pm
Forum: Finishing
Topic: Future floor polish
Replies: 267
Views: 152206
... some very very fine sandpaper using almost no pressure, then followed that up with even finer (about 3200 grit) emery cloth I got in a clear parts polishing kit from Micro Mark. I got all the sand dust off, then applied the future again, and it worked very well. No scratches from the sanding, and ...

---------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to use a polishing compound before I bring out the sandpaper. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Scratchy
EVApodman

Re: Polishing cream

Post by EVApodman »

Is the surface damaged? If so then you will have to sand it using progressively finer grades until you are practically rubbing it with vinyl.

If the surface isn't damaged then don't sand it. I have heard of people dipping entire parts into Future and allowing it to dry overnite while covered to keep dust off of it.

There are other model products that you can put on with a q-tip and then brush with fine, lint free cloth to get a shine.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

There is some rough areas on the plastic one side. The clear plastic has also yellowed. I've been coating it with a 6% peroxide cream and keeping it in the sun. It has reduced the yellow. I also used some Sensodyne toothpaste to help smooth it out... I think it helped. Still needs some TLC though.
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

If the plastic has yellowed then I'm afraid that it's a done deal. It will continue to yellow over time regardless of what you do now.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

EVApodman wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:42 pm If the plastic has yellowed then I'm afraid that it's a done deal. It will continue to yellow over time regardless of what you do now.
I was hoping that wasn't the case, oh well. Thank you for your reply and insight EVApodman, I appreciate it.
Wug

Post by Wug »

I like Novus plastic polish.

https://www.novuspolish.com/index.html

You can probably find it locally at glass shops and plastic shops and occasionally from model contest vendors.

Novus 2 is good for most model polishing. Novus 3 is for heavier scratches. Follow it with Novus 2. With Future you don't need Novus 1.

Mike