New Airbrush/Compressor

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

slookabill

New Airbrush/Compressor

Post by slookabill »

I'm wondering what I need to replace or if I'm doing something really wrong. Currently I have a Master/Airbrush Depot TC-20 compressor and Master Airbrush G233 airbrush. When using to get a decent flow/consistent paint, I end up using a lot of thinner(almost a 1-1 ratio it feels like), and have to be at 40-50psi(at least indicated on compressor) to get a decent flow that doesn't get stopped up or stop flowing for some reason. Do I need a different/better airbrush, better compressor, both? Different technique?
EVApodman

Re: New Airbrush/Compressor

Post by EVApodman »

The kind of paint you use along with your airbrush will all affect how your paint comes out.

Generally enamels need thinning and higher pressure than metallics or lacquer paints. I use acrylics straight out of the bottle. With Dullcote I cut it with thinner to get a more even spray and coating.

Acrylic glosses like Future come out like water and need a lower pressure to avoid too much spray.

I would suggest that you practice spraying on newspaper, scrap plastic to get a feel for your paints and airbrush.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
slookabill

Post by slookabill »

I'm mostly using Vallejo Acrylics, and it feels like I'm doing 3-1 paint to thinner ratio and that psi setting. Using no thinner and/or lower psi, I end up after a few min of having the tip completely clogged or similar.
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

I spray both enamels and acrylics at lower pressures than most folks. I'm usually around 10 to 12 psi.

My mixes are more like 3 parts thinner to 1 part paint.

Ive read that adding a drop of flowaid to your thinner with acrylics helps so I picked up a bottle of that.

You also might have clear paint dried on your needle which if it was something like future you can clean it with ammonia. I've had to do that after using future through my airbrush it dried on my tip but I couldn't see it and the usual blow out I do when I'm done with the airbrush didn't work but the ammonia did. You can get a big bottle of it at the dollar store.
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

I dis-assemble and clean my air brush after every use even if I am going to use it right away for another paint.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!