Q about thinning Mig acrylics

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Q about thinning Mig acrylics

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

I'm looking at getting Mig's paint color set for the Su-35 Flanker. I was wondering if I could just use Tamiya's acrylic thinner on it, just as I can with Model Master Acryls? How about lacquer thinner? Thanks in advance.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Pod1610

Re: Q about thinning Mig acrylics

Post by Pod1610 »

You've probably found out by now, but Tamiya Acrylic thinners and MiG( as well as Vallejo and AK) acrylics make a horrible gunky mess when combined due to very differing chemistry in their make up. Hopefully you've found out beforetrying to do it....
Its a hobby... if it stops being fun.... you're doing it wrong! :sw4: :sw5: :sw3:
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Why not just use plain old tap water??
Normal?? What is normal??
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Pod1610 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:20 am You've probably found out by now, but Tamiya Acrylic thinners and MiG( as well as Vallejo and AK) acrylics make a horrible gunky mess when combined due to very differing chemistry in their make up. Hopefully you've found out beforetrying to do it....
So what do you use as a thinner?
Greg
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Pod1610

Post by Pod1610 »

Usually their own proprietary one, but I've also used plain old water without a problem.
Its a hobby... if it stops being fun.... you're doing it wrong! :sw4: :sw5: :sw3:
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

irishtrek wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:20 pm Why not just use plain old tap water??
Yes, water usually works well enough, but I'd prefer to use de-ionised water or at least purified water over tap water - there's an awful lot of chemicals and salts in straight tap water which can lead to patchy blotches forming as the paint cures.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:46 amHow about lacquer thinner?
You can get much better coverage thinning acrylics with lacquer thinners, but, again, do not mix paints brands. Lacquers will shorten the life of your airbrush's O-rings and lacquers are significantly more toxic if you're into breathing in the vapours.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

I've mixed craft store acrylics with MM acrylics with no problems but I will not mix Tamiya with MM acrylics simply because the Tamiya seems to have a lacquer scent. And if I remember right I've even mixed Tamiya with craft store acrylics once or twice and had no problems.
Normal?? What is normal??
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Thanks for the advice. How about 100% isopropyl alcohol? I bought a big container back in February when I used to think that the coronavirus was something to be afraid of. I've been using it to clean my airbrush and just to clean our home but I was thinking I might have good luck using it as a paint thinner.

As far as mixing paints, Tamiya acrylics and Mr. Hobby Aqueous acrylics are 100% compatible. The newly formulated Mr. Hobby Aqueous is backwards compatible too. Model Master won't mix with these because they are a very different type of paint. It's a shame that they have been discontinued. MM paints are pretty good, but they've always been difficult to find here in Japan, even when Platz was supposedly distributing them.
Greg
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:55 amHow about 100% isopropyl alcohol?
Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is good too - just be aware of the fumes. Without ventilation and and/or a good quality mask the fumes while spraying will make you drunk quite quickly and will likely give you one hell of a headache. Not so much a problem thinning with IPA for hairy-brush painting.

Another thing that works with most brands of paint is dishwasher rinse-aid. It also acts as a flow-enhancer giving really good coverage. I've found about 40% rinse-aid works for airbrushing, about 30% for hairy-stick. I've not specifically tested it with MM paints, but it works well with MIG, Tamiya, Humbrol, Revell, Vallejo and artists acrylics like Liquitex and Windsor & Newton.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson