Decals as masks?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

trekkist

Decals as masks?

Post by trekkist »

I picked up a Lindberg Snark the other day (check "Ollie's," if they exist local to you; great deals), but find myself fearful of the MANY complex white stripe decals to be applied over a red-painted kit.

So I wondered: what if I applied a white base coat, decaled over that, painted over the decals...could the decals then be "easily" removed, taking their paint overcoat along? Or would this require X acto outlining of each and every decal stripe?
SpaceRanger1

Re: Decals as masks?

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

If decals are not sealed in place with a clear coat, they can usually be removed with sticky tape. Other ideas:

1. Scan the decal sheet, print it, and use the prints as masks. If you have an image editing program such as Photoshop, you may be able to adjust the brightness/contrast so that the white stripes are visible. If not:

2. Trace the decals and transfer the tracings to frisket paper or some other masking medium.

I find it's always a good idea to scan a decal sheet before cutting it apart anyway, just in case.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Don't forget that on most decals, the clear film extends beyond the colored area. You'd have to trim the edges of each decal right up next to the color.
trekkist

Post by trekkist »

Thanks to both! Now for the killer: whatever "sticky" mask is used, can it be peeled without first "outlining" its shape (on the overpainted kit) with an X-acto?
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

trekkist wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:18 am Thanks to both! Now for the killer: whatever "sticky" mask is used, can it be peeled without first "outlining" its shape (on the overpainted kit) with an X-acto?
It depends on (1) how long you let the paint dry before removing the mask, and (2) how tacky your masking medium is. Unless multiple coats of paints are required, I generally remove the mask as soon as I am finished painting. With frisket or paper tape, it's usually enough to just pick up a corner with the tip of a hobby knife/scalpel and remove the mask by pulling it back over itself.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
trekkist

Post by trekkist »

GREAT! thanks!