Priming model options

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

slookabill

Priming model options

Post by slookabill »

Currently, on all my kits(Resin mostly so far, but again some styrene), I prime my kits with a rattle can of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer, and is my major road block in working on models(besides time/energy). This is due to the amount of stench and time to air out the house after using it(yeah, probably not the best way), and end up usually priming right before heading to work, and then leaving a few windows open, and 3+ fans running to air out the house before I get home.

What are some better/less stench producing ways to prime and get past this step? Is there an effective solution I can just airbrush on to the models? Or brush on? Hate not working on models(when I have the time) due to this, when I've completed others that are in various stages, and don't want a massive backlog in the paint queue.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Re: Priming model options

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Mr. Primer Surfacer is Creos's primer for resin. I don't think it smells all that bad, but then again I don't think Tamiya's primer smells bad either. They both smell like strawberries compared to Gaia Notes primers. GN's black primer stinks like rotting meat in a paper mill or something and my wife always gets mad at me when I use it. I often burn some incense afterwards. It's sick.

For primers in general, I use Mr. Surfacer 1000 in my airbrush thinned with Mr. Leveling Thinner. More control with an airbrush means less waste, and rattle cans belch out too much when you spray them.

Oh, and you need to either go outside to spray or you should get some sort of air extractor. Just a fan box with hoses to hang out your window.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"