Weathering aluminum foil?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Weathering aluminum foil?

Post by DeltaVee »

I'd like to cover some models with aluminum foil. Is there a way to get a weathered, oxidized look (without destroying the adhesive)? Some kind acidic wash?
Lt. Z0mBe

Re: Weathering aluminum foil?

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

DeltaVee wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:45 am I'd like to cover some models with aluminum foil. Is there a way to get a weathered, oxidized look (without destroying the adhesive)? Some kind acidic wash?
I've never done this but have seen an article in FSM. You can boil the foil with eggshells or vinegar added to water. You'll get different colors with each.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Scratchawan Learner

Post by Scratchawan Learner »

Or simply blotting vinegar, with a Qtip, can mildly "age" it. Another one that works, is a solution of phosphoric acid... but you need to keep soda handy as a neutralizing agent... or it will keep attacking the metal, beyond the effect you likely are looking for. Jantz Supply, in Davis Oklahoma is a knifemaking company, that stocks various chemicals for etching and aging metals. They may have something beyond what I just told you, to treat aluminum with, to age it.
"Take away money...privelage,power, and position from an honorable man...and he's still got his honor. For an honorable man, that's enough."
chasd25

Post by chasd25 »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 pm
DeltaVee wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:45 am I'd like to cover some models with aluminum foil. Is there a way to get a weathered, oxidized look (without destroying the adhesive)? Some kind acidic wash?
I've never done this but have seen an article in FSM. You can boil the foil with eggshells or vinegar added to water. You'll get different colors with each.

I hope this helps.

Kenny
I've done this. You get some cool variations depending on the amount of time left in the water.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks all!