New Future packaging?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

New Future packaging?

Post by Callandor »

Is this how Future is now packaged? I can't seem to find the old stuff anymore. Has anyone used this one?

[url]https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pledge-F ... RPH4C/[url]
mophius

Re: New Future packaging?

Post by mophius »

Slightly different to what I have but yes that is it.
I am in the UK and have this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B073VP ... ref=plSrch
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I was going to say get thee to Swanny's Models. But Swanny's Models is no more. :(
So get thee to Internet Archive Wayback Machine:

The Complete Future by Matt Swan

Somebody copy this all before it's gone.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Scratchawan Learner

Post by Scratchawan Learner »

This is the same old "Future Floor Finish" known and loved by modelers for two decades. Pledge bought'em out. Consistency, and chemical formula remain unchanged, with the same excellent coverage, and end result. A hard, glossy finish, that protects your clear parts from the lion's share of misting effects from CA type glues. I too, panicked when I couldn't find the "future"... but pledge's product is just the same. Gotta hate marketing schemes, and name changes. They are the indisputable champs, at fixing what isn't broken, to the frustration of all.
"Take away money...privelage,power, and position from an honorable man...and he's still got his honor. For an honorable man, that's enough."
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Futrure = Pledge with Future = Pledge floor shine.......
Scratchawan Learner

Pledge's parent brand, bought the future name, and formula, from my understanding. Although it's distributed under the pledge name, the formula hasn't changed.
"Take away money...privelage,power, and position from an honorable man...and he's still got his honor. For an honorable man, that's enough."
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Scratchawan Learner wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:23 pm Pledge's parent brand, bought the future name, and formula, from my understanding. Although it's distributed under the pledge name, the formula hasn't changed.
In the US, yes. Overseas, it ranges from "unchanged" in the U.K. to "whatever formula is used by the manufacturer licensing the Pledge/Future/Johnson's Klear name" in parts of Europe, the Pacific and South America. Also, SC Johnson/Johnson Wax has always had the rights to the formula, at least since the mid 1990s when the stuff began to take off with modellers. The brand name has changed from Future Floor Polish, to Future, to Pledge with Future Shine, to Hidden Valley Ranch Pledge. ;) In the U.K., it's Johnson's Klear or somesuch now.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to step on your toes but I wanted to make sure someone in Australia or the Philippines, for instance, didn't read this and think everything was the same.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
aussie cylon

Post by aussie cylon »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:53 pm
Scratchawan Learner wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:23 pm Pledge's parent brand, bought the future name, and formula, from my understanding. Although it's distributed under the pledge name, the formula hasn't changed.
In the US, yes. Overseas, it ranges from "unchanged" in the U.K. to "whatever formula is used by the manufacturer licensing the Pledge/Future/Johnson's Klear name" in parts of Europe, the Pacific and South America. Also, SC Johnson/Johnson Wax has always had the rights to the formula, at least since the mid 1990s when the stuff began to take off with modellers. The brand name has changed from Future Floor Polish, to Future, to Pledge with Future Shine, to Hidden Valley Ranch Pledge. ;) In the U.K., it's Johnson's Klear or somesuch now.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to step on your toes but I wanted to make sure someone in Australia or the Philippines, for instance, didn't read this and think everything was the same.

Kenny

So for us Aussies, what's it called here? Can't find this stuff anywhere. :(
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

aussie cylon wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:49 pm
Lt. Z0mBe wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Kenny

So for us Aussies, what's it called here? Can't find this stuff anywhere. :(
Last I heard, it was Johnson's Klear or Pledge with Future or somesuch. But, and it's a biiiig but. In South America, Australia and elsewhere in the Pacific, again, SC Johnson/Johnson Wax doesn't manufacture the stuff, they just license other manufacturers and distributors to make and sell the stuff. The formula is not the same, generally speaking. Your best bet is probably to order it from an American vendor like Wal-Mart or some other 'Murrican chain.

There's a thread somewhere in this forum from 10 years ago or so where I posted a conversation I had with someone from SC Johnson. Basically, I emailed them and said "hey, can I buy this stuff directly from you guys" because I was worried when I couldn't find it here (Kentucky) for a little while. I actually got a response from someone in the know there; I had put in the initial email that I used it for modeling. This caused some confusion as he thought (understandably) I was using it for some fashion modeling application. :lol: The guy had no idea about the cult following the stuff has among modelers and hobbyists. I clued him in on that and we had long, friendly and informative email conversation in which he told me that the U.S. and the U.K. have the same stuff as well as some parts of mostly northern Europe. He explained the licensing situation in other parts of the world. I posted the relevant parts of the conversation here in this forum in some thread, but I am too lazy to run it down.

I hope this helps a bit.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

aussie cylon

Post by aussie cylon »

If you posted something 10 years ago, it's probably disappeared. All my posts older than a few months have all gone. I think its something to do with the server outages that occurred a few months ago. That's too bad.
Scratchawan Learner

There needs to be more modeling "stickies" methinks. In this way, we aren't continually having to "relearn" things, that veteran model builders have tried, and experienced. Creating a good replica of what we're trying to build, is difficult enough, in the easiest of times, without having to continually "reinvent the wheel" so to speak. If server space is becoming an issue...perhaps members with surplus space could help out?
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

That thread should still be here somewhere in the Finishing forum. They don't get pruned, so far as I know. That being said, I do not have the time or patience to run it down. I've got building to do :lol:

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

aussie cylon

Post by aussie cylon »

Here in Australia, I've come across"Pascoe's Long Life self shining floor polish". I have seen it mentioned on the internet that it is a reasonable product in the absence of Pledge. Has anyone here used it? I have seen a couple of youtube videos saying it's good stuff. I haven't used it yet, but want to try it. Anyone used it? Is it any good? Bad? Any input would be greatly appreciated from fellow Aussie modellers.