Space: 1999 Eagle 1 Colors

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TD1701

Space: 1999 Eagle 1 Colors

Post by TD1701 »

Hi Everyone,

Do any of you know what is the correct base color, and that of the grey patches on the Space: 19999 Eagle 1 Transporter? I have mine in the prime coat stage and wanted to know what colors to buy when I am ready to paint.

Thanks,

Tom
TazMan2000

Re: Space: 1999 Eagle 1 Colors

Post by TazMan2000 »

I don't believe there is a definitive list of what colours they used on the filming models other than the base coat which is Ford Diamond White, if I am not mistaken. From what I can tell, they used common weathering techniques by masking and spraying panels lightly to achieve a plated metal look or some could say a patchwork. Most greys are slightly off the base coat so you may have to test paint a sheet of plastic and mix different ratios of paint in order to get the same look of the studio model. www.eagletransporter.com would be the place to go to get more information on this and to see some examples of the replicas of the SS models that members have built.

TazMan2000
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Thank you for the link TazMan!!! :) It was fun to snoop around and read the posts. I have various shades of grey in my stash so I can just play around with them until I find something I like. Now that I know for sure white will be my base, I can go from there.

Tom
jimboh1

Post by jimboh1 »

I'd check out Facebook Group "Space: 1999 Props and Ships"
Jim HANDS
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Thanks Jim! I will certainly check it out. :D

Tom
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

During the show the Eagles were painted different colors so basically any whitish type paint with an odd pattern of light gray panels will do.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
TooOld4This

Post by TooOld4This »

White
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

TooOld4This wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:19 amWhite
Did you actually read earlier posts???

TazMan2000 was just about spot on with his description. Just a few bits I can add...

A few of the off-white panels were faintly outlined with pencil (using a fine technical pencil).
The off-white panels were of a number of shades, light greys, light tan/buff, light blue and light green - all very subtle. The panel decals provided with the deluxe version of the 22-inch kit are, IMO, too bold and need toning down.
The Ford Diamond White was (and is) readily available in the UK in spray cans - the brand used by Century 21 was Dupli-Color (tins can be seen in some workshop photos). Diamond White has a slightly silver look to it when compared to plain white.

This effect can be achieved in 3 ways: 1) Use Diamond White paint; 2) Add a few drops of silver and one or two drops of blue to plain white or; 3) mist plain white onto a very dark (clack) undercoat.

The painting of the 12 and 22-inch Eagles was very much simplified, not so much because of the work involved, but because the models weren't used for the close-ups that the 44-inchers were.

Saying the Eagle is "White" is like saying the sky is blue... Correct, but not complete and not very helpful.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
TooOld4This

Post by TooOld4This »

seam-filler wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:54 am
TooOld4This wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:19 amWhite
Did you actually read earlier posts???

TazMan2000 was just about spot on with his description. Just a few bits I can add...

A few of the off-white panels were faintly outlined with pencil (using a fine technical pencil).
The off-white panels were of a number of shades, light greys, light tan/buff, light blue and light green - all very subtle. The panel decals provided with the deluxe version of the 22-inch kit are, IMO, too bold and need toning down.
The Ford Diamond White was (and is) readily available in the UK in spray cans - the brand used by Century 21 was Dupli-Color (tins can be seen in some workshop photos). Diamond White has a slightly silver look to it when compared to plain white.

This effect can be achieved in 3 ways: 1) Use Diamond White paint; 2) Add a few drops of silver and one or two drops of blue to plain white or; 3) mist plain white onto a very dark (clack) undercoat.

The painting of the 12 and 22-inch Eagles was very much simplified, not so much because of the work involved, but because the models weren't used for the close-ups that the 44-inchers were.

Saying the Eagle is "White" is like saying the sky is blue... Correct, but not complete and not very helpful.
err, joke?
sorry...gee...
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

OK, sense of humour-failure there on my part.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson