super realistic chrome

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kekker

super realistic chrome

Post by Kekker »

So I was browsing around over on the RPF site, and someone mentioned this stuff: Molotow Liquid Chrome pens. Poking around on Youtube, there are several videos showing this stuff in action. It really does produce a chrome-plated, mirror-like look! In some of the tests, you can see detailed reflections in it. Many people at the RPF tried it and experimented with different clear coats, and a lot said it was better than Alclad II chrome.

They even showed how it can be thinned a little with lacquer thinner and be sprayed through an airbrush. The effect is the same - it looks like chrome metal, not paint. Used on a resin Terminator skull, it took the silver paint look to realistic chromed finish.

It goes on thick, but shrinks down as it dries.
It doesn't like any clear coats except misted on Future, but the Future seems to be able to be tinted for color effects.
The pens lay down a pretty wet coat, and it can take days to dry completely. Trying to hurry it (as with a blowdryer) seems to spoil the effect.
Once fully cured, it's reported to be reasonably hardy (but don't mask over it!), so for models and some props it should be ideal.

I was just blown away by this stuff, and have order in at Amazon for the 30ml refill. Not cheap, but it looks to be the ideal solution to making really chrome-y surfaces on models.

Had to share!
Kev
DaveVan

Re: super realistic chrome

Post by DaveVan »

Model car guys grabbed onto them as soon as they came out. I have the 2mm and 4 mm versions. VERY nice finish....just do not touch for a few days....handle as little as possible.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

They nice but take forever to cure hard. As Dave says. Neet-o but it doesn't replace Alclad in any way except convenience.
Abolish Alliteration
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Is this stuff sold at hobbytown??
Normal?? What is normal??
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

irishtrek wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:55 pm Is this stuff sold at hobbytown??
Hobbytown is a franchise biz so every store inventory is different.....yours??? I got mine off ebay in less than a week from UK much cheaper than USA.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

And they are re-fillable if you balk @ the price
Abolish Alliteration
aussie cylon

Post by aussie cylon »

Thanks for the heads up. Been looking for a chrome finish, but most end up looking silvery, not chromey. (Talking about markers here, not spray) Will get some and see. Thanks