Iwata NEO and Lacquers

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Iwata NEO and Lacquers

Post by SJM »

Is it true that airbrushes can spray anything (acrylic/enamel etc), as long as you use the correct thinner/solvent?

I have a NEO and need to use some lacquer paint, will this work out ok?

Thanks.
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
Lt. Z0mBe

Re: Iwata NEO and Lacquers

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I have a Neo and an HP-CH. the HPCH I have had for years but the Neo is less than two years old. The seals, including the needle bearing are not the PTFE (Teflon) that is used in the HPCH and other first-order Iwatas. They look like rubber. However, I have fired metallizing lacquers through the Neo, lacquer-thinned Mr. Surfacer and of course, pure lacquer thinner for cleaning. It's a cheap brush I use for wider applications so I just assume that when those seals and bearings wear out, I will get a new "beater" brush. In short, you should be fine so long as you don't take to soaking the thing in the lacquer or thinner. But, being that those are non-teflon bearings and seals, the lacquer will absolutely act on them and cause them to wear prematurely. Hell, lacquer thinner even gets to Teflon if it's left to soak in it.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

That's the key--just clean it well afterward, and don't soak it. You'll be fine.
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

I tried soaking my airbrush (a Wave airbrush, not an Iwata) and the O ring expanded and got real loose. I was afraid I'd ruined it and would have to replace it, but it returned to its original size. Not gonna do that again!
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Post by SJM »

Guys, thank you so much. This was so helpful, exactly the kind of info I needed!

Hi Greg :D
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Hey Scott, you should fix the links in your signature. HTML won't work on forums; only phpbb tags.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"